News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Three-truck Shays

Started by tac, November 20, 2008, 11:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tac

Well, after a long wait, we got our two three-truck Shays this morning - Oregon Lumber, o'course.

Unpacked 'em, lubed them up like we did for the three other two-truck versions, stuck them on the track and ran them for a coupla hours in each direction - first of all nekid, and then with a short consist of my home-built log cars.....

Faultless and beautiful.

Well done, Bachmann - another wholesale winner.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

PS - as ever, we were wondering just where the fantastic layout seen in the DVD is located.

az2rail

Cool. I have one also, and like it a lot.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

spla13

i also have one that i fitted with a bear trap. it runs much better than the two truck.

bdelmo

I had a Bachmann Climax (sold) that had major shorting problems with its trucks in my layout at the LGB 12000 series turnouts entering and exiting two reversing loops with 5 feet diameter track (R2 LGB 15000), when I had analog power (LGB Jumbo).  I have since converted my layout to DCC.

What is the minumum track diameter for the Bachmann Large Scale 55 Ton 3 truck Shay and how does it handle the smallest of LBG turnouts?

tac

Sorry to say I can't help you - my minimum radius track is twelve feet.  I bleeve, however, that you will be hard-pressed to get a three-truck Shay around anything less than Radius 2, for obvious reasons - the third truck is is mechanically connected by a short coupling to the rest of the loco.

tac

bdelmo

I have R2 radius (5 ft diameter), so perhaps the three truck shay will work here.  Does the manual or box give any indication of the minumun radius/or diameter track size?

I am also concerned about shorting at the frogs in the smallest of LGB turnouts in 12000 series.  The frog design of these turnouts does not always ensure the wheel crosses the gap in the rail without "dropping" into the gap.  When the wheels may go the wrong way, it shorts before it guides the wheels in the correct direction with a check-rail installed inside the rail opposite the frog. 

I would be grateful for any experience here with either or both R2 radius (5 ft diameter) and LGB turnouts in 12000 series.

Peter O

I have a couple of 5 ft diameter bends and the 3 truck goes thru them fine. I suspect it could even handle the 4 ft (R1) at low speed.

beechy

Hi,

I've just completed an indoor layout with lots of R1 curves and 12000 switches and the 3 truck shay is handling very well.

Did lots of testing before building layout as it was limited on space hence the R1 curve requirement.

Now planning to invest in a second and possibly third shay as they climb very well, with approx 8% grade  :)

Good luck

bdelmo

Hey Beechy, great to read that the 3 truck shay will handle my curves and switches, which are part of an indoor layout (like yours) that I plan on moving outdoors.  Next a trip to Nicholas Smith Trains to see it again (last at York train show) and then...