News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

1:20.3 Scale 2-6-0 Mogul dimensions

Started by lrparks, November 20, 2008, 09:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lrparks

Does anyone know the physical dimensions of the 1:20.3 Scale 2-6-0 Mogul? In particular the height of the highest point. Just checking to see if my tunnel can accomodate.  Hope the 8" is enough.

Jon D. Miller

For the Spectrum Mogul height from railhead to top of whistle is 7 5/8 inches.  Whistle is the tallest point on the Mogul.

The whistle could always be removed from the turret and mounted on the side of the steam dome.

JD

Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

lrparks

Thanks Jon! Looks like I should be able to squeeze it in. My horizontal clearance is around 7" so I imagine that won't be a problem.

Loco Bill Canelos

If  the 8 inches is from the top of the railhead you will be OK, but not if it is 8" from the base to the top.  The width is fine
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Jon D. Miller

Loco Bill,

The measurement was taken from the railhead to the highest point on the locomotive.

I always thought that the use of the word railhead  indicated the very top of the rail.  Had I measured from the base or foot of the rail I would have so stated.

Just to clear up terminology.  I was given to understand that the three parts of a rail are the railhead or ball, web, and foot or base.

I certainly stand corrected if this is not the case.

JD

Loco Bill Canelos

Jon,
I understood exactly what you were saying, It was IRparks who said his measurement was 8 inches, but did not specify from where.  I was only pointing out that fact and nothing else.  On one earlier occasion a fellow in similar circumstances built his portal 8 inches above above ground level rather than the railhead level and was put out when his loco hit the top of the portal. 

I was only trying to reinforce what you said to be sure Irparks did not do the same thing.  Certainly no offense was intended!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

scottychaos

yes, locomotive heights, real and model, are always measured from the "top of the railhead"..

a measurement from the "ground" is useless..because there is a wide variation in rail height! so the same locomotive could have several different measurements if measured from the ground, because it could be sitting on lots of different rail heights..

so always measure locomotive height from the top of the rail..
thats been the standard procedure for around 180 years now..

Scot

Jon D. Miller

Loco Bill,
No offense taken. ;)

You brought up a good point in not measuring from the base of the track to determine height.  That never entered my mind. :-[

I was just trying to make certain we were all talking off the same sheet of music.  Folks that read this forum should now understand how height of a locomotive or piece of rolling stock is figured when it is setting on the rail.

JD

lrparks

To clear things up from my side I was measuring from the top of the rail. How much smaller is the Big Hauler? Thanks guys. :)

Jon D. Miller

lrparks,

The highest point on one of the Annie Big Haulers that I have is from the railhead to top of the turbo generator exhaust.  That height is 7 1/2 inches.  Next highest would be to top of whistle.

I should mention that all my Big Haulers have straight stacks.  I don't know if one of the wood burners with a funnel stack would be taller at the stack than either the whistle or the turbo generator exhaust.

Length wise the Big Hauler and the American are for all intents the same length.  The Big Hauler is just a little narrower than the American.  On both locomotives their widest point is the steam cylinders.

Should also mention that the Big Haulers are considered to be 1:22.5 scale.  Remembering that the Big Hauler 4-6-0 is a model of a Baldwin locomotive that was larger than the Baldwin built American that Bachmann has modeled in 1:20.3.

JD