News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 2 truck shay decoder instal

Started by fsm1000, November 06, 2008, 07:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsm1000

I have looked at digitrax, soundtrax, bachmann and over 7 forums and many other places.

I would like to know if ANYONE has actually installed a micro tsunami decoder into a 2 truck shay and if so do you have pictures of how you did it along with the speaker install? Thank you.

Please don't list the so called install manual from soundtrax as it is to basic to be of any use. Also i did email them and they said they don't know.

Thanks for any help you can give to me :)

My way of giving back is to give free everything, tutorials, videos etc. Enjoy
http://fsm1000.googlepages.com

Steve Magee

Yes I installed the Micro-Tsunami light logger into the shay usng the speaker that came with the older LC Soundtraxx install. Even included the stay alive capacitor. A marked improvement over the older LC decoder - it now only cuts out once per op session, rather than every 5 minutes :-). And the control through the back EMF circuitry is much superior.

No pics, unelss you desparately want 'em and then I will go see what I can do, but it is so easy I dont think you need them. Only thing I did was cut the leads going into the decoder to about 2" length and soldered them to a standard 8-pin plus which then plugged directly into the Bachmann board.

Trust me, its an easy install.

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Australia

fsm1000

It is the speaker install part I have concern about. How did you get it to fit under the pcb board? And yes IF you can get a picture of that part anyhow I would appreciate it.

Thing is I left this til to late I know but I am going to a local train show on Saturday and was hoping to get the speaker etc for this.

Do you know that make model etc of the speaker that you used? Thanks again for all of your help. :)

Steve Magee

The speaker that I used was the one that came wth the older LC decoder install. It comes with a sticky gasket (both sides) that seals it from underneath, and the speaker rim then sticks to the gasket. With this install, fitting the speaker under the B'mann circuit board was an easy task.

If doing this from scratch (and giving up on trying to use a QSI Hi-Bass speaker :-) ) I would get the thinnest 28mm speaker I could get, and secure it with a silicon sealant. I cant get the specs, but the Soundtraxx 810054 might be the one, see if you can track down anybody who may have the overall dimensions, particularly the depth. Anything around 1/8" in depth would do, I think.

And with the Tsnami Micro you dont have to fit the speaker capacitor the LC required, and there is room in the bunker for the stay alive capacitor.

Regards

Steve Magee

fsm1000

Thanks a lot Steve for your help. Interesting that only one person has ever added DCC to an On30 shay here LOL

I will look into it. Thanks again for all your help:)

David(UK)

Many have installed DCC Sound to the Shay, me included - they just haven't replied or don't frequent this board.
Regards
David(UK)
Rail Baron of Leeds

fsm1000

David I suppose so. Seems they don't reply or go to any of the other over half dozen forums OR the train shows OR the hobby shops I been to as well :(
Oh well. Thanks for helping just the same guys :)