News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC train on a DC track

Started by bobv, November 22, 2008, 08:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobv

Hello- new to model railroading.  I just bought a DCC equipped Bachman Spectrum Norfolk and Western loco.
I put it on my regular powered track as I don't have any digital equipment.  Is there something I need to do to disable the remote control in order for it to run on the conventional system?  It barely moves.

the Bach-man

Dear Bob,
The loco should run on analog power right out of the box. If you bought it locally, have your hobby shop check it out.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

bobv

Well thanks,
I removed the decoder and installed the 2  three pin jumpers per the instructions.  The train moves now but still only about 1/2 the speed of my other Bachman(SP Daylight) and Athearn Genesis Locos.  I have a very good power pack,(tech4 MRC 200) and the power is connected to the track in 4 separate locations.  It is very sensitive to the changes in power over the course of the track, none of my other locos have this problem.  Is there something the matter with the engine?  I also notice that the tender supplies power to the engines drive wheels.  Is this normal?

bobv

Dear Hunt
Thanks for your advice!  I went to a hobby shop to confirm that it wasn't my set up and it is definately the train.  It also runs smoothly backwards but jerkily in forward. Any Thoughts?  Do you think that it might be a foriegn matierial in the wheel works?  Should I send it back?

bobv

Well, I gave it a good try but it seems like the tender unit has a short.  It completely stopped and started to smoke- smells like burning electrical.  I guess I need to send it in to Bachmann for a replacement.
Anybody done this before?