News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Forney - Inside Frame or Outside Frame?

Started by Mike_AA9ZY, December 15, 2008, 12:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_AA9ZY

I'm thinking of buying a sound-equipped Forney for my freelanced railroad and was wondering what other peoples' preference was and why.

Also a question to the Bach Man: Are you going to offer any more engines with sound? I don't want an engine without sound. I guess I picked that up from my hi-rail modeling.

Happy Holidays!

Tomcat

Mike,

both Forneys had real prototypes on the Maine 2footers. They both have their own fascination. Best, get both. I did. But I love the outside frame with her counterweights a bit more than the other one, inside frame.

Did you take a closer look on the Bachmann 2-8-0 Consolidation? This is my favorite engine and the prices are down if you take a closer look for one at Ebay. Adding Sound is a straightforward job, don´t be shy - it´s that easy! Even the place for the Loudspeaker is prepared and if you go for a Loksound Decoder (which is made by ESU in Germany), you just plug the stuff in and there you go...

Please feel free to get in touch, just in the case you need to know more. :) I´m here!
Cheers, Tom ;) ;) ;)

Mike_AA9ZY

Can I get them with the appropriate sound clips or do I have to by a programming kit.

the Bach-man

Dear Mike,
Both versions are available with sound.
Happy Holidays!
the Bach-man

jestor

Mike, what radius curves are on your layout?  If you are considering buying one, you should be advised that the forney does not operate well on less than 22" radius due to the way the rear of the loco swings out on curves. It tends to drag the following car off the track on sharper curves. 

Mike_AA9ZY

Thanks Mr. Bach-Man!

I knew the Forneys had sound. My question was: will Bachmann offer any more On30 engines with sound.

I'm planning on mainline curves of 22-24 inches. My mine branch will probably be 18 inch radius and I'm not sure of the incline yet. I've already got a Climax with sound, so we'll see.

railtwister

Quote from: Mike_AA9ZY on December 15, 2008, 12:50:48 PM
I'm thinking of buying a sound-equipped Forney for my freelanced railroad and was wondering what other peoples' preference was and why.

Also a question to the Bach Man: Are you going to offer any more engines with sound? I don't want an engine without sound. I guess I picked that up from my hi-rail modeling.

Happy Holidays!

Hi Mike,

I have both versions of the Forney, and my OF one was purchased with factory installed sound. The sound does make a difference, but if the IF one had sound too, I'd have a hard time choosing a favorite. I think I must have at least one of each type of On30 loco Bachmann has produced thus far, and as much as I love the Forneys, I think my favorite steam loco is the OF 2-8-0 (mine has no sound - yet!). It sets the bar pretty high for smooth & sweet trouble-free operation, and has the detail to match it's performance. I qualified this statement with the words "steam locomotive" because I also have several of the Davenport side-rod switchers and I really like them too. They run great, look good, and if you shop around, one can frequently be had with factory DCC for under $30! What's not to love about that? Besides, they're so darn cute!!!

Regards,
Bill Nielsen
Oakland Park, FL USA
Florida On30 Renegades