News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC vs DC

Started by EBT17, November 23, 2008, 01:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBT17

I have just purchased a Russian Decapod that is DCC ready. On the FAQ's on this site, it says I can run DCC ready equipment on a standard DC setup. My problem is that the loco will not run, and my power pack just hums as if there was a short circuit applied to the track. What do I need to do to operate this loco. Am I missing something?

the Bach-man

Dear EBT,
Where did you get the loco?
Some Decapods in the first run had a short; if your source has old stock you may have one of these. If you bought it second-hand, it may have been sold for that very reason.
Let us know.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

EBT17

I bought this new in the original packaging from The Favorite Spot. What are my options? I really like this loco, but hope I'm not stuck with a lemon.  The number on the outside of the box is 81707 Susquehanna. There is a number on the inside of the box also, which is 020715.

richG

On some Spectrum's, the tender trucks pickup on opposite rails. If one truck swivels around that can cause a short. Check the continuity with a multimeter using the ohms scale.

Rich

Rangerover

I bought that same loco, susquehana too about 3 years ago. The one I purchased is DCC only, check the box again, make sure the number on the box is the same as on the loco. If you only run analog, you can remove the decoder and wire it to conventional DC. Make a sketch of the wiring if you some day want to run it DCC in the future. I do believe those decoders are DCC only in the older decopod models.

the Bach-man

Dear EBT,
Since you have a new loco, the Favorite Spot should replace it and send the non-working loco to us.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

chuff_n_puff

Did you call up loco #00, that is what DCC has to be set on to run a DC train on it, as it responds to engine 00, unless it is a MRC Advance system, and then it won't recognize it at all!

Guilford Guy

Quote from: chuff_n_puff on November 28, 2008, 06:19:30 AM
Did you call up loco #00, that is what DCC has to be set on to run a DC train on it, as it responds to engine 00, unless it is a MRC Advance system, and then it won't recognize it at all!
He's not running the loco on DCC, its a loco with an 8 pin plug, but no decoder, that he's running on Analog.

Quote from: Rangerover on November 25, 2008, 09:43:03 AM
I bought that same loco, susquehana too about 3 years ago. The one I purchased is DCC only, check the box again, make sure the number on the box is the same as on the loco. If you only run analog, you can remove the decoder and wire it to conventional DC. Make a sketch of the wiring if you some day want to run it DCC in the future. I do believe those decoders are DCC only in the older decopod models.
The decapod he has is not "DCC Onboard," it has a plug for one to insert a decoder.

Try swiveling the tender trucks first as Rich stated. I think, due to the fact that the powerpack hums, that one of the wires that connects the tender to the loco has not broken out of its plug.
Alex

pdlethbridge

I also bought a decapod from the favorite spot a few weeks back and had the same problem. I'm still waiting for Bachmann to fix it.

Yampa Bob

This is why I have Caboose Hobbies test run any loco I buy before shipping.  8)
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

Caboose hobbies is a bit far for me. Buy one, test it, and send it to me free of charge and I'll stay your friend ;D

EBT17

I have sent this unit back to The favorite Spot and have received my replacement loco. This one does not run either. If I lay the unit on its side and apply leads to the wheels it runs fine. I also placed one set on the drivers and the other lead on the tender trucks. It ran with the leads applied to the front tender truck and the right side drivers, but I got no response when I touched the leads to the rear tender truck and the left side drivers. Can someone help me with this?

richG

There are TWO reasons why the power pack hums.
The first is because it does not know the words.

The second is because there is a short. This has been discussed quite a lot in these forums. Here is a link from a posting by Yampa Bob. Save this link to your PC as a HTML. The way you just click on the HTML file and the page will open up in  your PC if you forget where the page is in the Bachmann forums.
Generally the short is caused by the tender, wiring incorrect, wheels in the trucks incorrectly, a truck swivels around.

Spectrum locos pickup on both sets of drivers. The front tender trucks pickup one rail, the rear truck, the other rail. If the tender is wired incorrectly, there is a short when both loco and tender are on the track. The power pack does not know what to do, so it just hums.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,7439.0.html

Get a multimeter and use the resistance section to check for continuity. Unfortunately you need a multimeter when you buy a Spectrum loco. Modelers should always have a multimeter anyway.
Remember, this stuff is made in China with mediocre quality control. Hopefully, there is no Melanine.

Be nice to the Bach-Man. He is only the designated scapegoat for Bachmann Industries. It must be a labor of love.

Rich

Guilford Guy

Swivel the rear truck 180º. If it still doesn't work, swivel the front truck 180º.
Alex

Yampa Bob

There are stops on the chassis/floor to prevent the trucks from swiveling 180 degrees.  If you try to force them you will just destroy the stops.

Best to just change orientation of the wheelsets, but before doing anything, please study the diagram as Rich suggested and understand how the pickup system works.

Mis-oriented wheelsets and incorrect tender wiring is becoming a frequent issue.  All modelers are urged to inspect the tenders before attempting to run them. Never assume they are wired correctly.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.