Changing decoder address help needed

Started by fsm1000, November 25, 2008, 03:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsm1000

I finally figured out how to instal the decoder on my own BUT now I can not change the address from the default 03. I emailed digitrax and they said [and I quote]: "You cannot change the address of a Tsunami with the DCS100/200 without Soundtraxx's Program booster".
So I am screwed here. And soundtrax says NOTHING about needing extra anything on their website in order to change the addresses on thier decoders.

Unless someone knows what buttons to press on the superchief to change the address I will have a 600 dollar dud on my hands. If I had known it was gonna be this difficult to get answers and help from soundtraxx and digitrax and bachmann I never would have gone into DCC. This so annoying I don't know what to say.
So  any help would be appreciated thanks.

SteamGene

If this is your only DCC, leave it on the default address for now.  Is there a train club in your area which runs DCC and has programing abilities?  If so, maybe they will program it for you.  Or another DCC user?  IIRC, the booster is not that expensive.  In addition I THINK that you can program the Tsunami on the main without a booster. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jim Banner

The Tsunami can be programmed on the main using OPs mode programming for most CVs but maybe not for the address.  Of course, programming is possible only if the decoder is unlocked.

Note:  even if your decoder is one that can have its address reprogrammed via OPs mode, do not attempt a four digit address unless you are thoroughly familiar with all the requirements of four digit addressing.  Otherwise, you are likely to reprogram the address to la-la-land and not be able to program it back.  As far as I know, the Tsunami does not have a reset CV.

If you really need a different address immediately, program a two digit advanced consist address into CV19 using OPs mode.  You can easily program it back to 03 if you should need to - just program a zero into CV19.  When the advanced consist address is active, you are in effect running a consist of one locomotive which is quite valid.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

CNE Runner

Don't bail on DCC because of this little glitch. I have an Atlas MP15DC that I was able to program on the main without any trouble at all (trust me...if it can be screwed up...). My Bachmann 4-4-0s (DCC/sound) were a very different story. I tried, like you, to program on the main and got nowhere. That is where the Bachmann forum came in handy. An experienced poster said I needed a Soundtrax power booster and a separate programming track. I purchased the power booster (model PTB-100) from a model railroad discounter ('seems like I paid $50...but it could have been less), and installed a programing track. Everything worked well the first time! I would say the programming booster was a good investment as I am anticipating Bachmann producing a turn-of-the-century Mogul which will (undoubtedly) need programming. DCC is one of the best things that has happened to the hobby...hang in there. Cheers.
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Hunt

Quote from: Jim Banner on November 25, 2008, 06:14:16 PM
As far as I know, the Tsunami does not have a reset CV.

The CVs can be reset to their factory default value using the following procedure from the Tsunami User's Guide.

QuoteResetting the CVs or Starting Over
Occasionally, something goes wrong and Tsunami will not respond as
expected. Usually, this is caused by one or more CVs being programmed to
the wrong value. The CVs can be quickly reset to their factory default values
using the following procedure.
1. Program CV 30 to 2 ( or CV 8 to 8 ) using either Service Mode or
Operations Mode
2. Place locomotive on a powered section of track. If locomotive is already
on the mainline, cycle power to the decoder by turning power to the track
off and then back on.
3. After power is restored to the track there should be no indication of
activity other than the power LED turning on for a period of six seconds.
If sound comes on imediately upon restoring power, the decoder did not
reset. Repeat steps 1 and 2.
4. Once the six-second period has elapsed, the sound should come on
and the headlight, backup light and onboard diagnostic light will blink 16
times indicating that the CVs were successfully reset.
5. Tsunami should now respond to short address 3 just as it did when it was first unpacked.
6. If you cannot get the decoder to reset, check to see that it has not been
inadvertently locked (see "If You Forget the Lock Code" in the previous
section).

Hunt

Tsuammi Programming Notes: Both the primary and extended address may be changed at any time using service mode.

Some DCC systems will also allow the decoder address to be modified using operations mode programming (consult your system manual for details).

Please note that when programming in operations mode, the following restrictions apply:
   •  If the decoder's primary address is enabled (i.e., CV 29, bit 5 is 0), only the extended address may be changed using operations mode programming.
   •  If the decoder's extended address is enabled (i.e., CV 29, bit 5 is 1), only the primary address may be changed using operations mode programming.

Above information is in the Tsunami User's Guide.

For those who do not have the latest version of  Digitrax Super Chief DCC sytem  using a DT400 but are curious,
The DT400 can use ops (Operations) mode programming to change the CV value in ANY CV, including 2 digit and 4 digit addresses.