News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Horn & Bell

Started by usher42, November 26, 2008, 06:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usher42

I have a horn & bell device from Broadway Limited Imports that i brought from a hobby shop in Reno,Nv. when i was there on vacation . I hook it up from power pack to ez track teminal straight track and nothing happens . what am i doing wrong? i need some help.   Gary

jayl1

Are your engines sound equipped?  The item you purchased only activates the sound module in the engine.  If the engine does not have a sound chip, it will do nothing.

adding - this button hookup will not work with all sound decoders either.

the Bach-man

Dear Usher,
What are you trying to control? The device controls the horn or whistle and bell on BL sound locos running on analog.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

usher42

Quote from: the Bach-man on November 26, 2008, 10:26:06 PM
Dear Usher,
What are you trying to control? The device controls the horn or whistle and bell on BL sound locos running on analog.
Have fun!
the Bach-man
just trying bell or sound  that loco dont come with sound

az2rail

The Broadway Limited sidekick is designed for those people that don't want to run DCC or use the Quantum engineer, but they want to use the horn and bell functions of their engines.

As said above, the engine HAS TO HAVE sound in it, otherwise the sidekick is useless, as it does not accualy have any sound in it.  And I believe it has to be a Quantum sound board.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

usher42

How can i tell what locos have sounds  and what types are they.    Gary

Conrail Quality

When you bought it, it should have told you if it has sound in it ("sound equipped", "sound-on-board", etc.) If it doesn't mention sound at all (or says "sound-ready" or "sound upgradable"), it doesn't have sound.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

glennk28

Generally these would be locos imported by Broadway Limited (BLI).  There are other souind-equipped locos, such as Precision Craft Models  (PCM), that require a similar but different control. 

Model Rectifier (MRC) makes a "Black Box" (the name of it) that will control most of these  sound equipped locos including those with Soundtraxx's "Tsunami" sound decoders--Blackstone's K-27 and ntermoiuntain's SP Cab Forward. 

So basically, you have two choices:  Return the "sidekick" (my preference) or buy a BLI sound-equipped loco  (a new locomotive is self-justifying)

gj

grumpy

Some Athern models use the same method of sound control.
Don

Guilford Guy

Athearn Genesis/Roundhouse locomotives have MRC decoders, thus they come with an MRC Black Box.
Alex

az2rail

I use a "Quantum Engineer" to operate my sound equipted Atlas engines, so the "sidekick" would work also.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Frisco

The companies that make QSI equiped locomotives are: BLI, Atlas, Intermountain, Lionel HO (no longer made but still around). Also QSI sells their decoders for instillation.