News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Summit Pass Sound

Started by ubc174, November 27, 2008, 09:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubc174

I have just purchased a used Summit Pass train set. It does not have the manual or DVd instructions. I am not able to get any sound from it. I have placed in a new 9 volt battery with no luck. Any suggestions?

Dave

Have you checked under the Tender to see if the Volume Knob is on and the plug to the Loco is in the correct place.

Dave

ubc174

Thanks for the suggestion. We have rechecked both the volume knob and the plug and they both seem to be correct place.

Loco Bill Canelos

ubc174

Be absolutely sure your battery is fresh, I just bought some new ones that were  not good.

You may have a bad chuff sensor.   The wires labeled sound go from the chuff sensor on the loco to the sound unit in the tender.  You can test it by disconnecting the sound wires from the engine and using a small wire short across the two wires.  If you get a chuff doing this the the problem is definitely with the chuff sensor, and not the sound unit in the tender.  On some loco's there is also a red switch on the loco next to the sound socket, I am not sure of the correct position, because I am away from home and can't check it, so try it in both positions and see what happens.   The sound does not work if the loco is not moving, One time I went through days of trying to help a fellow only to find out he expected to get sound while the locomotive was stopped and never tested it while moving.  As soon as he tried it moving the sound worked fine.  The only sound you get is the chuff chuff, no bell no whistle or other sound

let us know if this works out
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

ubc174

Thank you so much for the help. It is the chuff sensor. Would you be able to tell me where this part is located and what would be required  to change it? I don't have any manuals to look at. Also would this part be available for purchase at a hobby shop or would it have to be ordered from Bachmann? I appreciate all of your help. Thanks again!

Jon D. Miller

The chuff on the Big Hauler is triggered by a mechanical system.

There is a sound drum on the front driver that rotates.  It has four metal strips that make contact with two metal "fingers" that when contacting one of the metal strips on the sound drum completes a momentary circuit that triggers the chuff.

This picture taken from George Schreyers web site shows the sound drum and the contact "fingers."

One wire runs from each of these contact "fingers" to the plug on the back of the locomotive.  Possible areas to check would be to see that the contact fingers are making contact with the metal strips on the sound drum.  Next would be that the wires soldered to the "fingers" have not come loose.  Next would be to check to see that the wires at the rear of the locomotive have not been pulled from the plug that mates with the sound plug coming from the tender.

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html

This is link to George Schreyers web site.  This link will take you to his postings dealing with the Big Hauler sound system.  You may find it of some assistance.

Here's one more picture I found.  Forgot I had this picture.

The sound drum on the first driver is to the right of the picture.  The "finger" contacts with attached wires show in this picture. 

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

ubc174

Thank you so much for all of the useful information. It is very much appreciated.

ubc174

The problem turned out to be a broken wire going to the chuff sensor. Thanks to everyone for their help. This was a great first experience!