News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

tsunami tenders

Started by pdlethbridge, November 27, 2008, 07:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdlethbridge

Any word on the possibility of spectrum tsunami tenders?

SteamGene

What a great idea!  I am beside myself with the USRA light Santa Fe large USRA tender and it's sound decoder.  I removed the Bachmann decoder which worked.  Should I have to cut capacitors for a different brand decoder?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

the Bach-man

Dear Paul,
Nothing yet...
Happy Thanksgiving!
the Bach-man

SteamGene

What about clipping caps on the USRA heavy tender?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Yampa Bob

Hi Gene
What brand sound decoder did you install?  Was the Bachmann decoder also a sound decoder?

Everyone says "cut the caps", period.  But the way I see it, if the thing works ok, why cut them?  You know, "if it ain't broke....."  I have heard that if operation is erratic, then they must be cut.

Perhaps some non-Bachmann decoders are compatible with the caps, and others are not.

All my Bachmann locos have the factory decoders, the only non-Bachmann decoders I've installed were in Athearn and Roundhouse locos, which didn't have the caps, totally plug and play.

I think this issue needs to be clarified, so people don't start cutting things unnecessarily, cutting the wrong component, or ruining the board in case they need to switch back to a Bachmann decoder. As for me, I'm not cutting anything unless absolutely necessary.

"To cut or not to cut, that is the question that has plagued mankind"... :D

Perhaps Jim will have some comments on this.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

My installed sound decoders are Soundtraxx, Tsunami, and Sound Brilliance.  I've found that people who don't know what the decoder is prefer the MRC.  It's easy to install, but is often hard to program, and will crap out on you.  The new series may be better.  OTOH, they have a Bachmann like return policy.  And Frank at MRC is a great guy!
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Yampa Bob

Then are you saying you did not cut the caps, and everything works just fine?

If that's the case, then perhaps some people have been cutting caps without good reason. My fear is that someone might cut the wrong part and ruin the board. (present company included).  8)
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

SteamGene

One point to add - this is an old article and Bachmann now does not void the warranty for cutting caps.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat