News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Calculating scale speeds

Started by Paul M., November 29, 2008, 01:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul M.

How would one calculate the scale speed of a locomotive? Model Railroader does this a lot, but they don't seem to provide a method or equation for calculating this.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

pdlethbridge

At 60 MPH a car is going a mile a minute. If you divide a mile by 87 you get 60'+ .  At 60mph in a model train would cover 60+feet in 60 seconds, a foot a second, if it was 30 mph, it would take 2 seconds to go a foot, 6 mph, 10 seconds. If you increase the distance you increase the time by the same amount at the same speeds.

Yampa Bob

Check this site:
http://www.spec2000.net/rr_site_pages/rr_scale_dfn.htm

Here's the formula:
Scale Speed (mph) = 1/88 (a constant) X Speed (feet per minute) X Scale Ratio.

Note that for HO scale, the 1/88 constant and the scale ratio (87/1) nearly cancel each other out in the equation.  Therefore for HO scale "Feet per minute" = ~Scale miles per hour.

Measure the distance around a loop, say it's 20 feet.  Time one lap, say it takes 10 seconds for the lap.  That's 120 feet per minute or 120 scale mph. Very simple.

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

Great site, Bob!  Now, if you'd only sent us to use Good Search to benefit the B&O Railroad Museum..... ;)
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

Thanks Gene.  Well, I keep a link to that site handy as this question comes up often.  I keep forgetting about "Good Search", force of habit I guess.  I promise to do better.  :D

I copied Ross's "Scale and Gauge" page to my computer, check out the entire site for great information.

az2rail

If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Yampa Bob

Nice calculator.  I entered values based on my scenario above, came out to 118.6 mph, compared to 120 using  "feet per minute" as a rule of thumb for HO, close enough for me.

CNE Runner

Quote from: az2rail on November 29, 2008, 06:15:18 PM
Here is a calculator.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~trains/rrsoft.htm

I hope that linked.

Bruce

Hey Bruce,

Thanks for the heads up on that website. The scale speed calculator works greatI I will look at the other neat things the website contains when time permits.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

az2rail

I'm glad you guys like the calculator, but I have one of my own. If the engine leaves the tracks going around a corner, I'm going to fast.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Yampa Bob

I heartily agree with your concept.  I think any preoccupation with scale speed is rather academic.  I run my trains at what looks to be a "realistic" speed.  I never think "Gee, I must be going 90 mph here, I better slow down."

The only time I do a speed test is in conjunction with a pulling test, if a loco won't maintain the speed I want at 1/2 throttle, I take off some cars or add a helper.

Atlantic Central

My tests with the Aristo Train Engineer and the 13.8 volt power supply I use have shown than many of today's models run at a prototypical scale top speed at the NMRA suggested 12 volts.

This allows me to use the full speed range of the Train Egineer Throttle, another "free" benifit of my control system.

Eample: Proto2000 EMD E8, 13.5 volts measured, scale speed clocked - 90 mph. Actual top speed of prototype EMD E8 with standard passenger gearing - 88 mph.

Sheldon