newer Yard Boss 0-6-0 runs intermittently, mostly stopped

Started by dshoff, December 02, 2008, 01:00:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dshoff

Son and I very new to model RR, newer Yard Boss 0-6-0 - has been working fine then next day turn it on and won't run or runs intermittently a few inches then stops - can "jiggle" engine and might run a couple of inches then stop, or still not do anything.  Train is hardly used.

Can anyone provide some steps to troubleshoot......or any thoughts on potential problem?  Thanks in advance!

kevin2083

sounds like you need to clean the track and wheels. An easy way to do this is to use a rag and rubbing alcohol. Wipe the rails clean, then place the rag on the tracks and spin the loco's wheels on the cloth. Follow the wet rag with a clean, dry rag.

Kevin
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Hunt

As Kevin wrote, first clean.
Clean locomotive's driving wheel treads with Isopropyl Alcohol.
Wipe track railheads clean using Isopropyl Alcohol. Use clean cloth not paper towel. Remove the alcohol residue with clean cloth.

Now
Check and remove any foreign matter wrapped around the locomotive wheel axles.
Check all electrical pickups for non-contact at rub points and remove any foreign matter.
While running slowly, watch side rods for any binding.

I don't have one of these  N-scale 0-6-0 locomotives to inspect, but, if it has wires connecting between locomotive and the tender, very carefully unplug without pulling  on wires and then reseat plug.

dshoff

Many thanks for the quick responses, I'll follow your suggestions and see what happens.
Cheers,
Dave