News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

metal sub roadbed

Started by SteamGene, March 21, 2007, 09:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

A friend at my train club has found a lot of flexible metal links.  It perhaps came out of something like a bottling or canning plant to move bottles or cans.  It is wide enough to hold HO scale track and has a lip on either side to prevent a train from taking a dive to the concrete.  He thinks it could be used in a helix. 
If I were to put homosote on the bottom, what are other thoughts on using this for my helixes? 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

Gene,

Sounds like it might be a good idea. How wide is this stuff? The make a segmented metal stud base for curved walls that is something like you what you discribe. It is, just like a metal stud, 3-1/2" wide with 1-1/2" flanges.

Homasote could be glued into it with construction adheasive and supports could be attacted to the sides with screws.

Sheldon

SteamGene

I don't have a piece of it in front of me, but it is wide enough for HO track.  I'll go up and pick some up today or tomorrow now that I have the truck unloaded.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Seasaltchap

Anything to do with food in contact with the containers themselves, and the links are probably stainless steel too.
Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Interested in making friends on the site with similar interests.

SteamGene

I'm sure it is some sort of an iron/nickle alloy.  It is not shiny.  I'll bring some home tomorrow.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat