News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

sound decoder tender?

Started by dcarruth, November 27, 2008, 02:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcarruth

Hey Mr B ,,I have a Burlington northern tender, 16 wheel long haul, It has what appears to be a decoder in it with 2 speakers and a different plug, Black ,than what is shown on most of the  Bachmann pics(yellowish plugs)For Bachmann.It says Kader 8010 and a second board marked 8011, is this an old version of factory sound/dcc ??? it was given to me by a friend,but he doesn't know any more about it than me. I'd sure like to get some info on it to put it on one of my Bachmann  steam trains...HELP!!

SteamGene

Your question is not really clear.  Is the tender for a Northern wheel type - 4-8-4 - and marked for the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy?  The Burlington Northern had no steam locomotives in revenue service that I know of. 
What do the wires/plugs/sockets look like?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

dcarruth

Hi ,Thanks for the reply.  I don't know too much about is steam locos,so appreciate any help I can get..The tender has 2 trucks and 8 wheels on each one ,very long,the plug is black and flat with 3 wires attached, inside is 2 speakers and 2 circuit boards marked Kader 8010 and 8011there is several capacitors, transistors and various diodes and resistors. Its numbered 5601 and has the Burlington Route patch on the side..It may be either an oil tender or an aux water tender,I can't tell, again ignorant of steam. Thanks again! Darrell

dcarruth

I forgot to tell you the plug is hard wired to the boards no socket or connector inside.
I do have a pic if you want me to e-mail it? I can't seem to upload it here. Darrell

SteamGene

Since it's hardwired, it's probably a custom job.  I'll have to look at my Kanawha to check Standard wiring.  AAIK, Burlington didn't use auxillary water tenders, but that might not mean anything.  Some oil tenders had the tank raised a bit from the deck.  In any event there should be two distinct set of hatches and an obviuls line on the deck between them if it's an oil tender.  In addition the tender would have a drawbar on the front and a coupler on the rear, while an auxillary would have couplers on both ends. 
A Bachmann Spectrum steam locomotive has two sets of connecting wires - one a two prong plug and the other a four prong plug. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

richG

Hi Darrell

Bachmann does not allow attaching photos. You have to use a Photo hosting service like Photo Bucket. Sign up and upload your photos to Photo Bucket. Copy the IMG code to you Bachmann message. The photo will then show up.
Since you know how to use a computer, it should be no problem.
http://photobucket.com/

Rich

dcarruth

Thanks Rich,I put a photo of the tender on Photo bucket,I think this is the url     ,Also I found a pic of the tender w/the right # and road on the Inet its a 4-8-4 burlington (cb&q) route and it is a oil tender.    .Thanks again, Darrell

richG

Hi Darrell

The link shows up ok when I click on it. To have the photo show up automatically, when you look at the message, copy the complete image code like Bob says.

IMG Code -  Forums & Bulletin Boards
Highlight and copy what is beow the above title.

Rich

Guilford Guy

That's old school sound... :)
Back in the day before sound decoders, they had that set up in the tender. If you look on the trucks, I believe there is a peg of some sort that pushes some brass strips, which complete the circuit, creating a chuff. I had one of these in an old Mantua tender, although battery powered. I believe the 3 wires are to power the sound unit, as these did not have tender pick ups.
Alex

dcarruth

Toooo Cooool,I knew you guys would know!!!Thanks for all your help with posting Gene ,Rich,Yampa Bob and Alex for knowing what my antique really is!
I think I got the pic resolved with your help too it shows up now! Thanks Very Much, I'm A believer! Darrell

dcarruth

Just A quick PS Guys: I hooked up the corresponding red leads and black lead to my old old Bachmann 4-8-4 Santa Fe Freight.....The Sound works!! Almost woke up the wife though..LOL.. the Little adjustable resistor(pot) on the lower rear side adjusts the volume...Now I got sound on the dc side of the track layout!! THANKS ALL!!!Darrell

Paul M.

I believe the sound was factory-installed. Some of the old Bachmann 2-10-4's, and probably the 4-8-4's too, advertised a "Chuff Chuff" sound feature.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific