Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Smoke

Started by knkblackoxide, November 29, 2008, 11:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knkblackoxide

Where can I find replacement liquid for Bachman? Thank you

SteamGene

Smoke is bad for your layout.  Stop using it. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

jayl1

Any hobby shop should be able to get it for you if it is not already in stock there.  As Gene said, it does leave a film on your layout.

az2rail

That might be ok for a diesel. but a non smoking steam engine is not prototypical.

Bruce

If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Conrail Quality

Nor are plastic ties, magnetic couplers, and nickel-silver rails but we use them anyway.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

richG

Neither is smoke wisping out of the stack on a moving steam engine.

Rich

Paul W.

Any hobby shop will have it. You can also do a search for different companies that sell smoke fluid. It even comes in scents if you'd like.
Smoke use is a topic that gets alot of comments, but if you like it, use it. I'm not saying you won't get residue on things, but it would have to take alot of use. When my niece and nephew come over, they don't care about real looking smoke, they just like to see them smoke.
Happy Steamin'

Paul

SteamGene

Actually diesels do give out smoke, some of the older ones a great deal.  I believe Baldwins were great offenders. 
Now, a perfectly fired steam locomotive in the summer gives out little or no smoke.  People who have not seen steam locomotives in regular revenue service and have only photographs to judge from will think that great clouds of black smoke was the norm.  That's because the fireman would "smoke 'em up" for the photographer.  N&W used to have a sign on the fireman's side that read something like "Black smoke means burnt money." 
The fact is the smoke that is produced is unrealistic and can foul a small layout very quickly. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

az2rail

I guess I mis-phrased my post [my fault]. I should not have used the word "prototypical". I should have said, I don't mind if my diesels don't have smoke, but I like my steam engines TO smoke". It is my choice, and I will live with it.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

RAM

Alco was the smoker, I was never around any Baldwin road engines but the yard engines did smoke much.  Diesels also set fires along the rightofway. 

Yampa Bob

Gene will recognize this:  "Smoke if you gottem".
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim Banner

Smoke if you like it.  Don't if you don't.  It's a matter of personal choice.  One of these days I would like to fit a diesel with a smoke generator.  Probably an FA (lots of room and prototypical.)  Then assign it to someone who considers steam locomotives to be "stinking cigar butts on wheels."  I would hope to get a photograph of his face as his locomotive comes out of the tunnel from the hidden yard, pouring out clouds of smoke.

About ten years ago I was watching trains coming out of a wooded area in our town.  At one point, I thought for sure it was a steamer coming.  High, billowing clouds of black smoke.  But it was just an old GP-7/9 with bad rings or a cracked piston, probably pulled off a dead line and pressed back into service.  In the days of steam, it would never have made it past the smoke inspector. 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

SteamGene

Sure do, Bob.  And "Strip your butts."  :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat