News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Power Takeoff on 4-6-0 Royal Blue G Gage

Started by Joe B, December 03, 2008, 04:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe B

The front truck on this loco is the power takeoff. I am not happy with the design since the entire truck is held on by the 2 wires. Not only that, there is a spring pushin against all this.  That is fine when the engine is on the track but if you hold it right side up, you are asking for trouble.

MY PROBLEM is with the plastic piece that the two wires come up through.  This piece also keeps the 2 pices of spring steel from touching each other.  MY PROBLEM is that this plastic piece is broken. 

Does anyone know how I can find the part number for this part so that I can order a new one.  OR..... Is it Possible to order the entire truck assembly????

Any help appreciated.

Joe Satnik

Dear Joe B.,

You have found the 4-6-0's weak spot, the front truck.   

If you still have the pieces, it is possible to repair your front truck with "Weld-On",  "thickened" variety.  You would have to make sure it slides freely in its slot when done.   

Otherwise, you would call "Irv" using the non-800 phone number and buy another front truck (if it's not covered under warranty).  He will have to match the color of your wheels.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Barry BBT

Joe B.,

Maybe I can help.  The pilot truck does pick up power for the loco, but it is not the only point.

Second generation drive locos had a sintered bronze wiper behind the flanged drivers.   The third and fourth generation had four small plungers one behind each of the drive wheels.   The fifth generation has driver which carry a brass bear with each flanged driver.  A contact leaf spring spans the distance between the first driven axle and the third driven axle, the current is picked up by the leaf.

I also introduced a new style pilot truck with aluminum angles and a lexan bridge between the two, with wire contacts to the loco.  It is fully equalized and does not come off of the track.

As a result of that product mention, I now have a bout fifty or more 4-6-0 pilot truck frames, most of the new and unused.  If this alternative works for you I will send you one for $5.00 which includes shipping.  Send me a letter with a check or M.O.  (It's not enough for a CC charge).  If you want two send me $7.50, 3 for $10.00.  With this deal, you keep and use your wheels.

Barry's Big Trains
P.O. Box 1119
Tolleson, AZ 85353-1103

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.