News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ho track block system

Started by dave2stp, December 04, 2008, 12:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave2stp

i have aho layout and want to run two trains on the track, and i was wondering if there is a way to set up a block system to keep one train running into the back of the other train?

Joe Satnik

DCC or DC?

How many people paying attention and controlling the throttle(s)?  0 (set and walk away), 1 or 2?

I have seen plans for a 3-rail "chase" oval that was fully automatic, using isolated outside rails for detection and relays controlling isolated inside rails for power. 

2-rail detection is much more complicated, but is doable.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Edit: changed "HO" to "2-rail"
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Hunt

How big is the layout?

Least expensive method is DC, one power pack but as you know requires operator attention and using hand replacement of a train for spacing as required.

The old way is wiring the layout for block control (a.k.a. cab control), but it still requires operator attention and you are controlling your track with switches, multiple power packs but only indirectly controlling the locomotives.

A way commonly in use is DCC. It still requires operator attention but not hand placement for spacing as each locomotive is controlled independent of others or direction of travel.