News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Problem with 4-6-2 Pennsy Pacific

Started by Bruzilla, December 04, 2008, 10:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruzilla

I just got a Sprectrum 4-6-2 Pennsy Pacific and there seems to be an issue with the main drive wheels binding.  The engine moved a few inches then came to a halt.  It's getting plenty of power, and a diesel engine I have runs fine on the track.  It looks like the wheels are out of sequence between the two sides and slipping out of position.

Is there a correct alignment procedure or diagram that I could use to get the wheels into the correct position?  Also, should the wheels be slipping around within the axle or are they broken?

Yampa Bob

On a real steamer, the driver cranks on one side have to lead or lag the cranks on the other side by 90 degrees, otherwise the loco would stall.  It is called "quartering".  However on a model the quartering is just for scale appearance so it doesn't have to exactly 90 degrees.

However, all drivers on a side must have their crank pins at the same rotational angle or the side rods will bind.  The wheels should not be slipping on the axles.

How do you know the motor is getting "plenty" of power? You might have bad wiper to driver contact.  When the loco stalls turn the throttle up and listen closely.  If the motor isn't humming then it isn't getting power, or the motor is bad. Also, does the light stay on when the loco stalls?
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Bruzilla

The light stays on and I can hear the motor humming.  When the engine stalls, I can pick it up and move the front and rear wheels a little but the center wheels are locked-up solid.  They will come loose with a little wiggling of the rear wheels.  Then, when I put the engine back on the tracks it will move and inch or two and then everything jams up again.

SteamGene

The second driver pair is where the drivers get their power from the motor.  It sounds like you have a good mesh there, but the rods are not algined correctly.  As Bob says, they need to be quartered.  Look at the drivers and each wheel will have a small section which is solid.  That's the counterweight.  All three counterweights should be in the same relative position so that if, say, #1 is at the very top of the wheel, so will the weights of #s 2 & 3.  On the other side of the locomotive the weigths should again be aligned with each other, but 90 degrees from the first side. 
Is this clear to you? 
If it is, you should be able to fix your problem by loosening the rods and adjusting wheels 1 and 3 to match 2.  Unless the wheels have slipped on the axle, aligning one side should do the same for the other.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"