News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

rail connectors & couplers

Started by perry, January 03, 2009, 10:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perry

I received  a Thunder Valley set for Christmas and enjoy it very much. Three questions I have for you, # 1, can I purchase  those small rail connectors as some have come loose & some are too tight? #2, are the couplers on the Thunder Valley cars short shank or long shank?  #3, When I order new cars does it matter what length shank the coupler is?

fieromike

You should be able to buy rail joiners at any hobby shop that sells n-scale railroady stuff.
When you buy new cars (and  locos), you don't usually have a choice of shank length.  The normal length shank is long enough to allow cars to run properly on trainset size tight radius curves.

westsidelumber12

Its, funny, everyone says they got a Thunder Valley Set, i too got one and i noticed the small shanks, but the car corner don't get close enough for any concerns to be honest, but i wanted to know are the couplers in that set knuckles, because to me that looks like dummy HO couplers would.

Are the compatible with other knuckle couplers?

Since I'm brand new to n scale is a 11 1/2 inch curve or whatever comes with the thunder valley set considered small curves?
Santa Fe ALL The Way

Its true....

Conrail Quality

They are in fact dummy knuckle couplers. They can mate with other types of knuckle couplers, such as Accumate or Micro-Trains (the N-scale Kadee), but they are dummies, so you will need to couple and uncouple them manually.
Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

perry

Now I understand about those couplers & rail connectors. Wondered how they could be "uncoupled" electronically as I have not seen an uncoupler for sale!. Thank you for replies. I have not been into trains since I sold my American Flyer set many, many years ago. We are limited on space in our patio home, so the "N" scale Thunder Valley works out fine. With the wintery weather here in NY (Rochester) I stay inside more thsn I used to & the train gives me something to do. Thanks for the replies. Dick Perry

GlennW

1)The Rail connectors or rail joiners by Atlas should be at your LHS. You also should find some plastic ones if you want to electrically isolate the sidetrack. In my experience, the "missing" joiner may be on the other piece of track taken apart. It may be easier to put all the track on a table or something and join it there so you don't have any vertical movement when joining the track. Been there & done that.
2) The couplers on the freight cars should all be short shank. The couplers on the locos could have a longer shank. Shorter shanks bring the cars closer together. Longer shanks let you take tighter curves. The 11" EZ curves will be fine for most shorter equipment. 18" will be better for longer passenger cars & modern equipment. Atlas may have some 9" curves in their snaptrak.

perry

"Many Thanks" for the replies to my questions on couplers & rail connectors.