News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ex-Preferred DCC Systems.

Started by Santa Fe buff, December 04, 2008, 06:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunt

No, you do not need a programming track.

The Bachmann E-Z Command Control Center has very limited programming capability in fact the way it does it you may not even realize the programming of a decoder is taking place.

Santa Fe buff

Well that sounds nice. Well, the good thing is that my dad secretly subscribed me to Model Railroader as an early Christmas present. They were going to tell me on Christmas morning, but the January 2009 issue came in, and I got the mail that day. So I'll have Model Railroader until next December, which is good because every issue has "DCC Corner".

Now, where can I find a computer board for a U20B? A decoder? A sound decoder for a U20B?

It isn't made by a certain company. It has various parts. So it would have to be a universal U20B board/decoders?

Josh
- Joshua Bauer

RAM

Do you need a programing track for programing decoders for the E-Z Command.  I don't know about E-Z Command, but I would think that you would.  It can be part of your layout as long as you wire it using a dpdt switch.  One way for programing and the other way for running.

Yampa Bob

Refer to page 5 of the EZ Command manual, either hard copy or the online PDF file: "Programming user-installed DCC decoders".

"The low current to the programming track protects the decoder if the installation was performed incorrectly."

If the loco is already decoder equipped, or you are installing "plug and play" decoders, you don't need a programming track.

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Santa Fe buff

I'm bumping this once again.

I have had my 13th birthday. I have enough money/gift cards for Hobby Lobby to purchase an E-Z Commander set with two DCC Equipped locomotives. Called, "Digital Commander" I need to know, are these locomotives and the system top-quality or simple things suffed into a box?

Also,
I've learned more about DCC systems. Boosters, decoders, functions, 'drop in sound', and etc...

I'm still limited in knowledge, but buying is now or never. I'm planning on getting the set next week, but won't set up until I have a clean room, a nice foam board (preferably...), and (hopefully) the Model Railroader Books book Bob mentioned...

Wish me luck, and I'm open for advice.

Josh
- Joshua Bauer

grumpy

The best advice you could receive is READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AND FOLLOW THEM BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE. This will save you a lot of grief in the long run. If you do run into problems don't make assumptions as to the cause try to analyze the situation by process of elimination.
As the Bachman says Have fun.
Don

OkieRick

Get some e-trade rags coming to your inbox - or make yourself a mail account for such stuff.  (I made a second account on Gmail for e-rags & junk I sign up for)  Bachmann's advertises a Newsletter - over on the left.

Go to Walthers.com and sign up for their monthly sale book - they sell most every brand - usually 70+ pages of stuff in O, HO, G, N and A... A = all scales, like paint.  When you find something you like go it's manufacturer's website to check prices.

Have a ball - read stuff from places like this.  "Thee Olde Fartes" here have a wealth of information & usually don't mind sharing it.  I'm going to learn what a frog is one day.  :-)

Have you decided on what rail lines you're going to buy into?  Which locomotives?

Okie Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Santa Fe buff

Okay, I think this topic was more appropriate for what I am about to say.

I bumped this because I've recieved by Bachmann Commander Control Center- I love it. :) I got the set, and was gleaming at the FT diesel, and at that fact she had a nice little 'kick' to her. ;) I was able to run it at first installment, but disconnected it to read the instructions. The nice thing is, it that I'm very smarter in DCC. Bachmann included a DVD that was basically a video-version of the instructions, so I read them after the video to make sure. I set it up, quickly, and then I put it back together. With all the Nickel Silver track I was given, I went from mostly black-bottomed, to mostly gray-bottomed in one day! Which, I am, very happy about. Another great fortune was that I found out what was screwing up my only coupler on my Amtrak car. The resiting plastic strip somehow got slipped behind the knuckle. A simple work and a pocketknife's edge worked it out and back in place; works like a charm now! :) Seeing the Warbonnet highball in almost no-light with odd-looking Amtrak Phase IVa scheme cars looked pleasant, a 'homey' feeling. The fun thing is, I'll park the train at 'about were the station should go' area, the GP40 became a fun switcher. The GP40 is self-dependent, making it's own trains and getting the heck out of there, that way I can highball the FT again. ;) I believe I've already broken both locomotives in, having them for two days, and working them considerably. 9911A E5's DCC-OnBoard locomotives have already been used for weeks on his DC layout, and we programed them into the controller today. I still have 4 more open slots, 1 remaining for a analog locomotive.

By the way, OkieRick,
Trust me, I've taken that notion a long time ago. I'm subscribed to so many newsletters, I now of all the new things. You should sign up for Yahoo!, they have unlimited e-mail sorage space.

Second,
Already signed up for the Walthers Flyer. I have the one from November 2008-the newest one. They also sell some TT, On2, On30, Z, and even thing non-train related items such as car videos. I love those books, knowing I can order right through that gives you quite the feeling.

Third,
You mean the train term 'frog'. Like, 'Be sure not to get ballast near the frog.'? That would be the section were the rails meat and break open on a switch. That's were the rail in the middle curves to the second track and ends to let the wheel pass.

Look at this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hunter1828/2469980016/

Forth,
Yeah, I think I'm doing early BNSF. Although, my FT will stay. (Even though they were long-gone by the 1990s.)

Oh, yes. I do look up places like this, and this is the best yet.

Josh
- Joshua Bauer