train numbers & whistle posts

Started by SteamGene, December 05, 2008, 10:57:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: glennk28 on December 07, 2008, 08:59:06 PM
Each railroad designates a point which determines east/west (or north/south)  This is specified in the timetable and other documents.  It generally has little to do with compas direction.  Usually it is the headquarters city of the road.  Mileposts usually recon from this point, as well.

Indeed. I think I read someplace that the Pennsylvania Railroad measured distance from the ends of the tracks in old Broad Street Station in Philadelphia, and the distance designations weren't changed even when the station was demolished.

ebtnut

While the old Broad Street Station may have been torn down, the tracks remained (and still remain).  The 30th Street station took over as the primary station for the PRR in Philly, but the old tracks became the terminus for the commuter operations, and it was renamed Suburban Station.  All of this operation is below ground, mostly under air-rights building development. 

SteamGene

C&O, now CSX, measured from Mile Post Zero at the passenger station at Ft. Monroe, Va, which was abandoned in 1940.  Track at Ft. Monroe lasted until the 1970s.  Now the closest track to Mile Post Zero is a bit west of MP 3.  In addition, MP 0 was on the Hampton Branch.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

thirdrail

Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on December 05, 2008, 01:37:55 PM
Quote from: SteamGene on December 05, 2008, 10:57:16 AM
I've been trying to find a standard for how trains are numbered.  Here's what I THINK I know.
In the east westbound trains are odd numbered and eastbound are even. 

If I can judge by my handy Amtrak Keystone Service schedule, that appears to be correct. Trains from New York to Harrisburg (that is, westbound) all have odd numbers, and trains from Harrisburg to New York (eastbound) all have even numbers.

IIRC, going back into the depths of history, the dearly departed Broadway Limited was #43 westbound and #42 eastbound. Those are currently the numbers for the Pennsylvanian. How the mighty have fallen. ...  :(

I worked in the Pennsy's Sales Department and the "Broadway Limited" was Nos. 28 and 29, an all-Pullman train, while "The General", nos. 48 and 49 was the coach train between New York and Chicago.  28, 29, and the Metroliners were the only trains I couldn't use my pass to ride.