News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Steam Loco Pilots Interchangeable?

Started by Arcadian, December 05, 2008, 03:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcadian

Does any one know if the pilot for the Spectrum line's Richmond 4-4-0 can be ordered separately and, if so, can it replace the Baldwin 4-6-0's pilot?  In other words, are they easily interchangeable or would this just be a major project?

I wouldn't need to replace the pilot wheels, just the front of the pilot.  I own the Baldwin 4-6-0 but I don't like its pilot at all, whereas the Richmond 4-4-0's pilot--the traditional 'cowcatcher' style--ideally suits my purposes.

Also, the little chains on the Richmond 4-4-0's tender: can they be ordered separately and will they attach to the Baldwin small tender?

SteamGene

Getting parts from Bachmann is a major problem.  I've never looked at any of my Spectrum steamers to check on how the pilot is attached.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

richG

It can be done but you will need a pin vise and small drill to drill new mounting holes. The plastic pilots have pins on them. I have both locos and just did a comparison. You will also need a supply of band aids for covering the drill holes in your fingers.  ::)

Rich

Nigel

Unfortunately, you cannot generally get parts from Bachmann, or any of the other train suppliers whose products are manufactured in China.  This is due China's business licensing requirement.  What few parts Bachmann has in the USA are from customer returns and damaged units.  Sometimes, if you are very very lucky, they may have what you want.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

Conrail Quality

Atlas is the only company who can seem to consistently get parts from their China suppliers. How they do it, I don't know, but I wish other companies could have a similarly excellent parts system.

Kato, of course, is great, since their stuff is all made in Japan.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

richG

Roundhouse has parts for their steamers but the steamers do not have the attached details like Bachmann steamers.

Rich