Bachmann factory wiring - wire color

Started by Hunt, December 06, 2008, 02:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunt

Some posts have been called to my attention that may unintentionally misinform some people about wiring.

Locomotives and Tenders:
Bachmann has not used a consistent wire color to identify a wire's function even in same models. If using a wire factory installed, you must verify the wire's function. Check all wires, as a function match for one color wire does not indicate a function match for any other wires.

Decoders:
The wires attached to a Bachmann decoder do follow the NMRA DCC color scheme. Notwithstanding the NMRA DCC wire color code Recommended Practice, always follow the wiring guide provided with any manufacturer's decoder.

Bach-man, if Bachmann has started using wire color scheme to indicate function, please advise date started and if the color scheme is followed in all scales.

richG

So far the only consistency I have seen in coloring is the red wire for right rail and black wire for left rail. I have two Spectrum's with different colors for motor wires and headlight wires and that was before I installed decoders in my locos without the PC board.  Others may comment.
I suspect Bachmann did that because the wiring goes to a PC board with a NMRA connector for many locos. No idea on diesels. I only have steamers.

Rich

Hunt

Quote from: richG on December 06, 2008, 02:51:33 PM
So far the only consistency I have seen in coloring is the red wire for right rail and black wire for left rail. ...
No consistency in the use of wire color there either!

pdlethbridge

I have commented several times about standardizing the wiring in the steamers. Whats so hard about making all the track wires always red and black, motor wires always gray and orange, and light wires blue and white/yellow for front/back. Every manufacturer of appliances, computers, tv's, cars, uses wire harnesses. Whats so hard about adapting that procedure to the steamers.

SteamGene

How about a mark on the DCC plug to show where pin number one goes?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

richG

There is a mark for pin 1. Get out your Optivisor. I never called it out because the mark is so small.
Ok, here you do not need a Optivisor.

Ok, for the loco you will need an Optivisor. There is a small white mark on the edge of the loco sockets or in some cases, the tender sockets.

Rich

richG

Here is a drawing of the matching sockets. There is an impossibly small white mark on the edge of the sockets that you can see using an Optivisor at max power and a bright light.

Rich

SteamGene

No guys.  The two pin and the four pin only go in one way.  It's impossible to install those plugs without breaking something.  I mean the eight pin NMRA DCC connecting plug and pin in the tender. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

richG

My 4-4-0 and 4-6-0 PC boards have the pin 1 and pin 8 labeled. I have seen a 2-8-0 PC board that did not appear to have pins marked. On the decoder, pin 1 is the Orange wire and pin 8 is the Red wire. Plugging in  the 8 pin incorrectly will only cause the direction to be reversed.

Rich

Hunt

Quote from: SteamGene on December 06, 2008, 07:52:42 PM
I mean the eight pin NMRA DCC connecting plug and pin in the tender. 
Gene
The 8-pin NMRA thing wired to the PCB is a socket.

Although it is noted, the Marketing folks at Atlas also mistakenly refer to the thing as a plug.

richG

Quote from: Hunt on December 06, 2008, 08:42:01 PM
Quote from: SteamGene on December 06, 2008, 07:52:42 PM
I mean the eight pin NMRA DCC connecting plug and pin in the tender. 
Gene
The 8-pin NMRA thing wired to the PCB is a socket.

Although it is noted, the Marketing folks at Atlas also mistakenly refer to the thing as a plug.

You are correct. The socket is on the PC board. The plug on the decoder, pin 1 is orange like I said in a previous post. Decoders with the plug attached will have the standard color code so a pin 1 label is not necessary. Again, if you plug it in incorrectly, the loco will run reverse from what you expect.

Rich

Rich

Hunt

Those with a technical interest, part of the story is covered in
http://www.nmra.com/standards/DCC/standards_rps/RP-9.1.1%202008.01.pdf

NMRA RECOMMENDED PRACTICES
RP-9.1.1
Electrical Interface & Wire Color Code for Digital Command Control
Approved January 2008

Work in the Electrical Interface area is ongoing.

Before the original topic moves more off topic, I have locked this thread.