2-8-0 Consolidation (Spectrum) weights.. are they lead or regular metal?

Started by Rayman4449, December 04, 2008, 04:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayman4449

Hi,

I'm working on one of these engines and need to cut some of the weight off of one of the weights in the boiler.  Before I start cutting, can anyone tell me if the weights are lead or just regular metal?  They don't look shiney like lead.

Thanks.

Raymond

glennk28

What is "regular metal?  Isn't lead a "regular metal"?   it is an element, solid at room temperature, conducts electricity,  has all the characteristics of a metal.   

Rayman4449

Is it:

1. Lead
2. A lead alloy
3. Some other metal.

Does this help clarify my question?

Raymond

Barry BBT

Raymond,

My experience with Bachmann metals goes back a ways.  Early on the only metals were the sintered bronze pickup contacts and the wheels.  The wheels, I learned were Zamac, or "pot metal".  I later learned that Zamac came in about 30 or so levels of quality.  In discussions with a casting house in the Carolinas, they explained that they normally used one medium low number but a couple of times a month they ran a couple of the higher grades.
I have a couple of samples of the higher grade castings. 

When Bachmann brought out the first Shay and the "Spectrum" Porter I was impressed with the castings, especially those which were "blackened".

I was never able to confirm my suspicions, but I believe the metals used in the castings of the current Bachmann products to one of those upper grade Zamac castings. 

Early on I complained to Dick Maddox about the castings and he made a less than serious remark along the lines of "I wouldn't be surprised if they swept the floor and put all the scrap in the pot".

This is not conclusive, but may help you continue the search.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

the Bach-man

Dear Rayman,
I believe it's a mixture, and since even our solder can't contain lead, I'd be surprised if the weights do. Be careful cutting it in any case.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Rayman4449

Thanks Barry for the info!

My main concern (which I'm not sure was very obvious) was contaminating myself or an area with lead if I cut the block off.  This does help some as it sounds like it may not be.  I'm going to play it safe and use full protection and cut this block outside with a fan to blow the dust away from me. 

Raymond

Barry BBT

Ray,

Maybe this will help.  One of the procedures I do when converting a Big Hauler 4-6-0 is to disassemble and turn the wheels.  Now the lathe does not create dust, but over a 16 year period I have turned thousands of wheel.

I believe the last issues do not contain lead. 

About ten or twelve year ago I used to cast my lead weights (from old wheel weights) in my shop.  I had gone from a 1600 sq.ft. shop with 12 ft ceilings to a shop built on my property 12' X 24'  X 7' high.  After a couple of those sessions, I had come down with headaches, very soon (after the second session) I realized what was happening and moved the casting job out doors.  That continues to today.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

Rayman4449

Thanks again Barry.

FYI, Vitamin C intake does help to rid the body of lead.  (based on studies of career painters using lead paint back in the 50's)

Raymond

Loco Bill Canelos

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Rayman4449

Thanks Loco Bill, I definitely will.  I learned the hardway by not using a proper respirator once and won't make that mistake again. 

Raymond

tac

Quote from: Rayman4449 on December 04, 2008, 11:32:38 PM
Thanks Barry for the info!

My main concern (which I'm not sure was very obvious) was contaminating myself or an area with lead if I cut the block off.  This does help some as it sounds like it may not be.  I'm going to play it safe and use full protection and cut this block outside with a fan to blow the dust away from me. 

Raymond

Sir - I have been casting lead bullets for my various black powder rifle and handguns for the last forty-five years or so.  I bleeve that you will be quite safe from contamination cutting a lump off a lump off ZAMAK.  Please do not eat the sawn detritus, though.

Neither breathing apparatus nor extensive life-support equipment will be necessary. ;)

tac
www.ovgrs.org