News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Eastern Narrow Gauge Time

Started by Dusten Barefoot, March 16, 2007, 07:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusten Barefoot

This is not to pester the Bach-Man at all, but rather to talk more or less about the eastern narrow gauge railroads, I mean all of them from the E.T.&.W.N.C to the E.B.T and any others that I dont Know about. My personal reason for this topic is discuss the narrow gauge in the east and not in the west for they are very popular more than the east, at least that is what I think. First thing is first if any of the E.T.&.W.N.C models are produced would you think the 10-wheeler would look like the R.G.S ten-wheeler or like the #12.
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Matt Bumgarner

Good topic Dusten. I would prefer the following:

a) ET&WNC ten-wheeler & set based on the G scale models
b) A modified Forney & a small 2-8-0 would fill out the Lawndale roster. Note that a "Lawndale" lettered ventilated boxcar is coming out this year. With the addition of some styrene, the existing On30 gon could be made into a killer Lawndale car.
c) A Baldwin 4-4-0 could be lettered Chester & Lenoir Narrow Gauge or Carolina & North-Western. Works for early era pikes, up to 1902 anyway. Remember that the C&N-W was the longest NG railroad in either one of the Carolinas.  Could also letter a couple 4-4-0's for the narrow gauge Danville & Western.
d) A Mason Bogie could work for some early eastern NG lines as well.

Lee Carlson

And PLEASE don't forget an EBT Mikado!  ;)
Lee Carlson
President,
NYS&W -- Niantic, Yantic, Scantic & Willimantic Traction Co.

ebtnut

;D Lee:  Great EBT shot.  Perfect light and everything.  On the broader subject, try and find yourself a copy of Hilton's book "American Narrow Gauge".  It covers virtually every common-carrier narrow gauge in the country.  It does not, however, cover items like logging roads or industrial plant lines that were captive and did not (normally) interchange.  Pennsylvania along had a long list of N.G. lines.  Longest-lived were the EBT (still running) and the Waynesburg and Washington (quit as a narrow guage line in 1936, though the PRR actually wide-gauged it and it hung around intact until about the late '50's).  Side note--it would be neat if someone (hello, Bachmann) would do the W&W Cooke Moguls.  The Pittsburg and Western ran out of the oil feilds around Bradford down to the Steel City.  The B&O took it over in the early 1900's but ran it 3' for a few years before wide-gauging it.  The Knox & Kane tourist line uses a part of this line.  It also interchanged with the Tionesta Valley RR, which ran south out of Sheffield.  It was primarily a logging line, but had some decent milage.  The G gauge outside-frame Heisler is modeled on one of their engines.  There were a lot of lines that were gone early-either absorbed into the big roads or just abandoned.  The famous Ma & Pa was originally narrow guage, and the predecessor Peach Bottom, Eastern Division, became the Lancaster, Oxford & Southern which lasted until the early 1920's.

There were also the Tuscarora Valley and the Newport and Sherman's Valley lines.  Again, both lasted into the 1920's. 

The south end of the Ma & Pa went through several road name changes, including the Maryland Central RR and the Baltimore and Lehigh.  The latter had a 2-8-0 that was a copy of the D&RG C-16 class locos.

In Dixie, you had the Surrey, Sussex & Southampton, a mostly-logging road but with some line-haul.  One of their 2-6-2's is at the Pine Creek RR in New Jersey.  The Southern had a narrow gauge line they acquired, which was in the same general tidewater area. 

The West Virginia Central served coal and lumber interests out in deepest West Virginia.  Some of that line was taken over by the B&O, some by the Western Maryland.

The more well-known lines--Lawndale and ET&WNC got great press from Beebe and Clegg, mostly because they were still around in the 1940's.

Dusten Barefoot

Lets get some ideas put out if the Bach-Mann does happen to read this, as ya'll know good and well I am ameing for the E.T.&W.N.C models and others, hummmmm, such as some W.P.&.Y models because tweetsie did happen to perches a 2-8-2 from them, and some open coaches used on the route in the 20s-40s on the E.T in senic excursions and such, also some diffrent wheel arrangement locos such as the biggest narrow gauge switcher on the E.T the 0-8-0. We'll see what we get in the near future.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

ksivils

More Southern than eastern - Argent Lumber Company - you have to love the cabbage stacks.

Shay Number 8 on the Mann's Creek line - again - have to love the stack.

Any of the S. S. & S. locomotives - interesting little line.  If you can find the book The Company - it tells the history of this railroad.

The Lawndale - those 2-8-0s are tiny!  That combine rules!

Again more Southern than eastern, any of the sugar plantation lines in Louisiana - Butler's Down Among The Sugar Cane is required reading if you can find it.

Not eastern, but Alaskan - White Pass & Yukon Route #69!

Dusten Barefoot

I fancy more of the balloon and others rather than the cabbage not to insult. I find the cabbag stack a unique stack design and first thought that other countrys had the stack for that is what i saw in a book on trains and such. Like it but not what i am usest to seing on trains.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Hamish K

Quote from: ebtnut on March 16, 2007, 09:55:44 PM
;D  Side note--it would be neat if someone (hello, Bachmann) would do the W&W Cooke Moguls. 

I thought the Bachmann Moguls (the ones without the C&S air tank) were close to these locos, especially to the existing W&W #4. The Pensy liveried Bachmann mogul was given the number W&W #4 had while in Pensy livery.

Hamish

ebtnut

The Bachmann Mogul is a model of a DSP&P Mogul (later C&S).  The W&W locos were a bit newer and somewhat distinct in their appearance.  I'll give credit to Bachmann for doing their model in PRR lettering, but it really is not the same loco.  I've actually seen the W&W loco in operation.  It is located at the Greene County fairgrounds near Waynesburg.  They had it runable back in the mid-'80's, though only on about 100 yards of track.  The people who maintained it back then left or passed away, and the engine sat for about 15 years inside the shed, where she lost some parts along the way.  They have it painted W&W on one side, and PRR on the other.

Dusten Barefoot

Just to throw another loco idea out, I would like to see some articulated engines. Hay folks, is there any differnt types of trains on the E.B.T besides the popular mike's? I know the ET&WNC had shays tiny 2-8-0s 0-8-0s and the famouse 4-6-0s and last but not least the 2-6-0 that has the back wheel positioned in the far back un like the the 2-6-0s bachmann makes.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

amdaylight

Listen guys, how about some true Western stuff for a change!  ;) Other than the original 2-6-0 the rest has been pretty much Eastern prototypes. The shay and the climax come from Ohio â€" Michigan and Pennsylvania respectively. The freight stock was based on a Pennsylvania prototype, the 2 bay hopper was an East Broad Top car. The Forney is about as down east as it gets and the 2-8-0 comes from south of the border by way of Edaville. I too would like a 4-6-0 but with something SPish about it with the whale back tender or God forbid it a MASON BOGIE.  ;D ;D

Andre Anderson

Kevin Strong

Quote from: Dusten on March 18, 2007, 12:14:20 PM
Just to throw another loco idea out, I would like to see some articulated engines. Hay folks, is there any differnt types of trains on the E.B.T besides the popular mike's? I know the ET&WNC had shays tiny 2-8-0s 0-8-0s and the famouse 4-6-0s and last but not least the 2-6-0 that has the back wheel positioned in the far back un like the the 2-6-0s bachmann makes.

If you go back in time, most definitely. You've got a handful of 2-8-0s, 2-6-0s ranging from the diminutive to large (48" drivers), and a few 4-6-0s also with 48" drivers. (And the 2-6-2 predecessor of the famous mikados.) The pre-mikado era on the EBT is ripe for modeling in On30, with a mixture of small and large wood freight cars and a good variety of motive power. You're not going to find commercial models to match the EBT's locos exactly, but you can come close. The (not B'mann) C-16 would be a good candidate for EBT's #7, which was essential a C-19. B'mann's mogul is a bit smaller than the EBT's large moguls, but would fit the bill well enough. (I'm coming from the perspective that if you're modeling the EBT in On30 instead of On3, then you're willing to accept a fair amount of compromise.)

Later,

K

ole

I agree with amdaylight. It is time for Bachmann to come out with a western narrow gauge box car and caboose at a minimum. Other revenue cars would be great but I would settle for a box car plus a caboose from a rail line west of the Mississippi right now.
Owyhee River & Western RR, a division of the C&S - Nevada

rich19

Being a modeller of the south - Louisiana in particular - it might be interesting to know that many common cariers in the south have (partly) started as narrow gauge cariers. Some were converted to standard gauge as late as 1910.
Among these: a large portion of the Gulf, Mobile & Ohio in Mississippi and Tennessee, as well as Missouri Pacific (the Iron Mountain predecessor) in Louisiana.
Actually, the more you dig into the history of well-known common cariers in this region, the more you find about such interesting topics.
Richard

Woody Elmore

Bachmann might find that some cars based on Carter Brothers designs would sell well.