Can two large scale trains on the same track??

Started by Twotrains2, December 08, 2008, 06:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twotrains2

We have two large scale trains by Bachmann and wanted to know if we can put them on the same track?  My husband thinks that it will possible ruin the engines or the controller.  Is this possible?

Cascade Northern

The easiest way is to run two trains if one (or both) have onboard battery RC.  Or if you are running DCC.

Twotrains2

We have trains that have current running through the track - I don't know what that is called.  So, what is DCC and onboard battery RC?

Twotrains2

To clarify we have a power pack with a controller on each track with each train.  We would like to only have one track with both trains.

Cascade Northern

DCC is a system that lets you control 1+ locomotives on any given track.  That means that you could have one loco stopped on the mainline with another one still moving.  With straight DC (which is what you currently have) if you have two locos on the main, both will move.

Onboard battery RC is where the power to a loco is located on the loco with a radio contol connection to the throttle.  With this, you would not have to provide power to the rails at all.

Since you have straight DC.  Yes you can run 2+ locomotives on one track.  However, both locos will respond to any throttle change.  The thing to watch is how fast do the locos run.  If they run at the same speed, then you should be fine.  You don't want one to run into the other one.

I am hoping some track powered people chime in soon as I run only battery RC....

altterrain

You have a analog DC set up. If you have the starter set power pack, two locos would probably overload it. A bigger power pack would be in order.
To run two locos you have a few options -

Install a front coupler on one and double head -

Install blocks, power isolated sections of track that can be independently controlled

Have two separate loops

DCC - digital command control is where your loco has a computer chip installed that allows you to control it via digital signals through the rail

Battery-Radio Control where batteries and a radio control system are installed in the loco or a car behind the loco. The train is then controlled with a remote control. Most locos can be wired with a switch to run by either track power or battery power.

I have trains that run by either track and/or battery power. You can run a battery powered train on powered track without interference.

-Brian
President of

Jon D. Miller

Twotrains2

For the equipment you have, track, power pack(2), and locomotives the answer is no.

As mentioned, the power pack supplied with a set would not have enough power to run both locomotives.

Just as important, trying to run the locomotives independent of each other won't work, even with a larger power pack.  One locomotive will always run faster than the other.  It may take a few times around the track but eventually they will catch up with each other.

All the responses so far are nice to know information, but none of them will allow you to run two trains with track power on the same track with the equipment you have.

There are any number of solutions, many mentioned in above posts.  These will work if you are willing to spend some time and money modifying your system.  If these are trains you run just for the Holidays it would probably not be worth the time and expense.

It appears that folks are trying to help you build a "cathedral" when all you wanted to do was add a window to the "chapel." ;)

JD

Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Twotrains2

THANK YOU very much for all the information!  It is truly appreciated!