News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Big Haulers - battery only or either?

Started by bnsonger47, December 09, 2008, 09:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnsonger47

I see there are a few of us newcomers lurking about this site looking for information. So, one more won't really matter.

I'm trying to understand what the term -Big Haulers- really means. Yes, it means that it's for large scale (G gauge) use. But, does it mean that the systems are all battery operated with remote controls or that they can run from track power? I'm not sure.

Here's why I ask. I've been on eBay.

1) I purchased a Virginia and Truckee set. It looks to be complete. There appears to be a power supply that does something. I can't tell what it does from the description. It could be for track power and it could be to recharge the battery in the unit. Which? I paid about $80. Track is included.

2) I saw another set for sale. The tender says Holiday Express. The seller says there is no remote control so she can't test. I assumed I could find a remote as a replacement part. Based on discussion hear on another post that isn't the case unless I happen upon something on eBay. Even then, I have to be careful as to the frequency. By the way, I paid about $30 for it. Track is included.

With the extra track I can go I can go around and around.

3) On another sale I bought some extra track with a power pack. The power pack. The power pack looks similar to what I have for my HO setup. There are straight and curved track sections.

Now I can go straight in between the many curves I can create...maybe multiple Christmas trees?

Final question. Will any of this work with the trains I've acquired or do I just have lots of track, a power pack for track and a bunch of rolling stock that'll look nice outside?

I need to know as I enter my second childhood.
Byron Songer
Victorian Crossing
Louisville, KY

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi, First welcome to your second childhood hobby of G Scale trains, never feel bad about asking questions here, I know that sometimes some responders on this site seem to put down folks at times but most are very helpful. 

Big Haulers is a general term used by Bachmann to identify their standard line of 1:22.3 scale line of products.

Some very early Big Hauler products were made to run on batteries and came with a remote control and the sets had plastic track instead of metal track.   These were sold around 1988 to 1991.  They contained the 4-6-0 locomotive.  There were two different frquencies 27Mhz and 49 Mhz  The number on the side of the cab of the loco either 7 or 9 is a clue to which frequency it is. There is usually a label on the bottom of the loco which will tell you the frequency.  The remotes do show up on Ebay from time to time, so keep looking for the correct frequency. The power pack is not for charging the batteries.

All other Big Hauler train sets were track powered and came with metal track and the power pack. Your V&T set is track powered.   If it is complete it should come with wires and a clip that attaches to the metal track, and instructions.  You attach the clip to the track and connect the wires from the clip to the power pack.  It does work exactly like your HO trains.  The track and power pack you bought as a separate item will work fine with your other metal track as long as it is all Bachmann metal track. Bachman  made several dofferent power packs over the years, early versions were black with a red speed control, later versions were a light grey in color and a third version was even lighter grey and was meant for use only with the Bachmann Streetcar.
Bachmann metal track is not made to use outside, it is for indoor use ONLY.  If you want to run your trains outside buy track made for outside use, such as Aristo-Craft or USA Trains track.  Your trains are OK for outside use, just not the Bachmann Metal track.  If you plan to run outside you will probably need a better power pack.
Bachmann also makes an advanced more detailed line called the Spectrum line.  The Spectrum line is 1:20.3 scale.  Bachmann also made an Anniversary edition of their 4-6-0 locomotive.  It is more detailed than than the Big Hauler line, but not up the Spectrum line.  It is 1:22.5 scale.  and a very nice locomotive. 

Things can be confusing even to oldtimes, but hopefullly I have answered your questions,  if not come back and ask more questions.

Merry Railroading!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

altterrain

The first Big Hauler ten wheelers (4-6-0) were battery powered sets using 6 D cells in the loco. They had plastic wheels to run on plastic track. They then changed to only track power (metal wheels on the locos) and have been that way ever since. There are five generations of the drivetrain on the track power locos. The fifth and latest is the best.

I don't think the set with the tender labelled "Holiday Express" is a Bachmann product. Its probably New Bright or similar.

Pictures would be very helpful to figure out what you have.

-Brian
President of

Loco Bill Canelos

The Holiday Express set is a Bachmann set. It is R/C battery and is set 90102.  It was made in two versions, The only difference was that one set had a Victor mining Company gondola and the other was a special run with a Frank's Nursery & Crafts gondola made for that company and sold only in their stores.

90102   HE   Holiday Express RC     1990?   OOP   Freight   7 or 9   Ver1   Victor Gold Mining Gon#328     ATSF Bob Cab #425   
90102HE   Notes:   Not cataloged The tender is lettered Holiday Express, this set was made in both 27 mhz and 49 Mhz    

90102F   HE    Holiday Express RC 49 mhz   1990   Ltd Run   Freight   9   Ver1   Gon Franks Nursery & Crafts No Number   ATSF #425 Bobber Caboose   
90102HEF   Notes:   Special set for Franks Nursery & Crafts 189 Stores in mid west & east. Same as set 90102 except Franks Tan Gondola instead of the VGM Gon.  Franks is liquidating in late 2004                        

Cheers

Jon D. Miller

Other than the very first Big Haulers, mentioned in other posts, all Bachmann Big Haulers are track powered.  The power pack that was/is provided with the Big Hauler sets is marginal, at best.  A more powerful power pack will make a difference on how well these track powered locomotives will operate.

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html

This a link to George Schreyer's site that addresses the Big Hauler locomotives in detail.  You may want to take the time to review George's Big Hauler information.

http://www.grblogs.com/index.php/2007/11/08/bachmann-10-wheelers?blog=4

This is a link to an article that details the differences between the standard Big Hauler and the Anniversary version.  As mentioned both of these 4-6-0
locomotives are 1:22.5 scale and are track powered.  Both the current versions of the standard Big Hauler and the Anniversary locomotive have the same drive train.  The difference between the two will be in the level of detail of the locomotives.

Welcome to the world of Large Scale.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

bnsonger47

Thanks, guys, for the prompt and helpful comments.

I did OK with the Virginia and Truckee set. I also did OK on the track/power pack combination. I now have a backup track system with one, working engine.

As to the Holiday Express I'm not so "lucky". Upon closer inspection of the photo I see that I, indeed, have plastic track and will need the 49MHz radio control if I want it to work. That probably means I have plastic wheels, too. So, track power is currently out of the question. What I do have is a gondola and caboose plus a little engine that "could" with major modifications. Unfortunately, I didn't know enough at the time to be able to tell the difference. I also didn't know that this forum existed. (It certainly is odd hiding it behind the FAQ button; not the most user-friendly thing to do but it does keep the casual person away.)

I'm only out $30 and shipping but no big deal. I have something for "display" purposes. Now I'm free to get another locomotive.

By the way, I've been reading on Family Garden Trains and plan to get by to see things at Vines Garden Railroad the next time we're between Atlanta and Athens.

The next thing I want to wrap my brain around is the scale thing. It isn't as easy as HO where the track is the track and the scale is the scale. It reminds me of the guys that build things to scale for 7-inch track and those that just build stuff to run on 7-inch track regardless of scale.

Byron
Byron Songer
Victorian Crossing
Louisville, KY

Loco Bill Canelos

The gondola and caboose should work with your other cars.   The V&T set has Bachmann knuckle couplers, but if the Holiday Express cars have hook & loop couplers they can easily be changed to knuckle couplers. 

Look at it this way, if you bought the cars seperately on Ebay you would probably have paid about $30 for then anyway!!

Glad thing worked out so well!!

Ask questions anytime.  There are no dumb questions, just questions.  It would be good if ytou bought a copy or two of Garden Railways magazine!!  Very helpful

PennGG1

Hi Everyone,
I acquired a Bachmann Big Hauler train set #90-0100, radio controlled, battery operated. I have the engine and the tender and enough track to make a loop. I had to modify the battery compartment cover (the back of the boiler) to get an electrical connection between the two rows of D cell batteries. I installed a new 9v battery in the radio controller and, lo and behold, it works! I have order some additional plastic track but would like to get some cars, freight or passenger to make a complete train. Also, may want to get a rechargeable battery. Can anyone advise who I should contact to get rolling stock that has the hook and loop couplers and a battery with the proper connector and recharger?

Thanks guys

Ted Turk

Loco Bill Canelos

Ted,

Glad you are having fun with the new loco.  Most bachmann freight and passenger cars come with both Knuckle Couplers and Hook and loop couplers. They are and easy to change. If buying used, and the cars does not have the type coupler you want, be sure to ask the seller if they are included. 

Several concerns, Your loco eats D Cell batteries like crazy, also the mechanism is not exactly very strong.  I would not pull over two cars as more would strain the motor and gears and most likely lead to early failure.  The set your loco was in was made in 1989 for the toy trade rather than the more serious hobbyist trade, and was never intended to last.

The unit was made to accommodate a 7.2 volt NMIH rechargeable battery.  I no longer have one, but the set came with a Tamiya (i think) adapter cable to use with the battery.  I forget where the cable connects to in the loco.  The 7.2 volt NMIH batteries lasted longer than the D cell batteries, but not a lot longer, but at least they are rechargeable.

You could try RLD Hobbies: http://rldhobbies.com/ . Robbie answers the phone personally and is helpful to new train buffs. TRain world is also good or a local hobby shop that sells Large scale trains.

Have fun with your new Loco!

Loco Bill

PennGG1

Thanks Loco Bill for your swift reply and for the guidance. I will contact the sources you mentioned. -- My purpose is to get this Bachmann train up and running and give it to my 8 year old grandson. I also have an LGB G scale 2-6-6-2 "Unitah Railway Co." locomotive number "50". I need to get some track for the 2-6-6-2 and the electrical components. I may need to ask your advice on that engine.

Thanks again,

Ted