News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E-Z Command DCC #6 Turnouts

Started by more1geo, January 26, 2009, 05:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

more1geo

I have two #6 turnouts,but would like to know what radius  curve to get so I can make a Parallel sideing?

Geo :-\

Yampa Bob

Hi Geo, welcome to the board.

If I recall correctly, the #6 turnout has an angle of divergence of approximately 9.5 degrees.  The closest "return to parallel", without cutting a custom piece, would be a one-third section 18" radius curve, which has a divergent angle of 10 degrees. (about half a degree error).

Most sectional track will allow a bit of fudging, however by filing the outside rail a bit and cutting/sanding the base, a closer match might be accomplished.

There may be other options using a larger radius, but would also result in a wider parallel track spacing.  Others will have additional comments.

Regards
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

more1geo

Thank you for the reply, it looks like it should work.
Laying track is not my strong sute. It looks like this E-Z track will be perfect for me. Now my next job will be to program a new add. for the DCC turnouts.
I may be back with more ?

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

At this time, a 10 degree EZ-Track piece only comes in 18" radius. 

You're kinda stuck with it for now unless you cut longer radii track.   

An 18"R curve reduces your layout's minimum radius to 18", which is bad for longer locos and cars.

Measuring off my screen, the #6 looks to be about 13" long (main line) and have about a 2-1/8" divergent route offset.

(If anyone else has closer measurements, please post.) 

Assume a 10 degree divergent route departure angle for the turnout to make the math easier. 

If you add a 10 degree 18"R piece to bring it back to parallel, you would get approx. 2-3/8" center to center spacing between the parallel tracks.

Theoretical fun:

Longer radii curves are desireable, as the #6 is good for use with up to 43"R curves. 

(See John Armstrong books: RCR- "Radius of the Closure Rail" explanation.)

If you somehow could magically produce or cut longer radii 10 degree curves (none currently available):

10 Degree Chart (Theoretical):

Radius, Parallel spacing from #6 turnout:

18", 2-3/8"
22", 2-7/16"
26", 2-1/2"
28", 2-17/32"
33.25", 2-5/8"
35.5", 2-21/32"
43", 2-3/4"

The four higher radius curves (26" thru 33.5") come in 18 degree sections. 

Bachmann should make a half curve (9 degrees) in a larger radius to make a parallel siding for the #6.   (9.5 degree theoretical frog angle/departure angle). 

Note change: I should probably withdraw my half (9 degree) curve request above, as it looks as if the departure angle on the #6 is closer to 10 degrees than 9.  I will know more as I get closer measurements. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik.

Edit: Corrections from new info from geo and svfiat. Thanks. 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

SvFiat

Hi, I'm in the middle of rebuilding my layout and was trying to accomplish the same parallel siding using a #6 turnout and found that a 1/3 piece of 18 inch curve, bachmann # 44530, works really well. You will end up with a 2 3/8 spacing center to center. All of my trains will now backup into these sidings vers the nightmare I was having using regular turnouts.

Have Fun

Joe Satnik

Dear SvFiat,

Thanks so much for the real (corrected) measurement.  I found out the screen shots that I used for measuring are stretched in width or shrunk in length. 

I will add 3/16" to my estimates above.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe Satnik

Dear SvFiat,

Could you measure the rail/trackbed length along the straight route? To the nearest 1/32" or half mm if possible.  Thanks.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

SvFiat

I'm guessing that you mean the additional length that the 1/3 track adds to the turnout side of the #6 past the straight side of it. That would be 3 3/32 measuring the roadbed not the rails and connectors. The resulting width roadbed included outside to outside would be 4 1/4. The total length of just the #6 is 15 1/2.

Hope this helps you.

Joe Satnik

Dear SvFiat,

Thanks for your efforts.  I wasn't very clear on my descriptions. 

A turnout has a "points" end, where the moving rails are, a "straight" or "main" route, and a "divergent" route.   

1.) Please measure the length of the #6 turnout itself along the straight route.  Ignore the tabs and rail connectors.   

You can measure the top of the longest straight rail, or the bottom edge of the roadbed next to it. 

I'm guessing it's somewhere around 13-1/4" or 13-1/2".

2.)  Pull a string or thread across the #6 turnout from the end of the outside rail, divergent route, to the points end of the straight rail measured in #1 above.  (Again, ignore connectors.) 

Does the string follow the first half of the divergent outside rail nearly perfectly?  If it does, please measure between those 2 endpoints. (approx 13-1/4"?) 

3.) At the widest point of the #6 turnout, measure the distance between the end of the 1st and 4th rail tops. 

Measure from the same side (eg. right side) of each rail top. (approx. 3"?)

Thanks again. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

SvFiat

Ok one more time:

1.) Please measure the length of the #6 turnout itself along the straight route.  Ignore the tabs and rail connectors.

That would be 15 1/2 inches or 39.37 centimeter

2.)  Pull a string or thread across the #6 turnout from the end of the outside rail, divergent route, to the points end of the straight rail measured in #1 above.

That would be 14 1/4 inches or 36.195 centimeter

3.) At the widest point of the #6 turnout, measure the distance between the end of the 1st and 4th rail tops. 

That would be 2 3/4 inches or 6.985 centimeter

But as I stated before the resulting spur using a 1/3 18 radius piece of track would be a parallel spur 2 3/8 wide center to center or 4 1/4 to the outsides of the roadbed which i think are the more pertinent dimensions of your project.

Have Fun

Joe Satnik

Dear SvFait and Geo,

I think I figured out what is causing the confusion here. 

Ends up I was working off of old photos (screen shots) from Tower Hobbies, which are shorter than the (newer) ones shown in Bachmann's "Products" section. 

I presume you have the longer #6's.  Please confirm that by counting the number of ties (under and) perpendicular to the divergent route.  Old Tower Hobbies photo shows 12 or 13, Bachmann Board shows 18 ties. 

So, did Bachmann ever produce a 13 tie (L) or 12 tie (R)  #6, or were those some pre-prototype photo-shopped monstrosities? 

I hate it when that happens.       

My project is to nail down track piece dimensions (lengths[x-axis], offsets[y-axis] and departure[compass] angles) that Bachmann hasn't published, to help figure out and advise which other pieces to use with them for certain track configurations.

Help others "Make'm fit", in other words.

Since I can't afford to buy every piece, I ask for help from those who have purchased them, or have access to them.   

My own program (actually an Excel spreadsheet) calculates a new X position, new Y position and new departure (compass) angle by adding the next track piece's length, offset and departure angle.

Sort of a track CAD program without the graphics.

Problem is, GIGO.  (Garbage In, Garbage Out.)  Gotta have the correct track piece dimensions for the program to work.

Sorry for the earlier confusion, and thanks for your measurements. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Yampa Bob

It would be nice if Bachmann made paper templates of all their track pieces.  I have 4 sets of templates by another company, copied a bunch of them 1:1 and pasted to manila folder stock, then cut them out.

It sure made laying out my track easy, even after using the software.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

couldn't you copy and print some of your switch machines and track pieces and use those too??