News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Gearing in K27, question for the Bachman

Started by chuckger, November 22, 2008, 10:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuckger

Dear Mr Bachman,

On another forum I have seen another post stateing that the K has the wrong gear ratios in the gear box.

My question is why did Bachman use a 14 to 1 ratio in the Kay instead instead of say a 29 to 1 ratio.

Thanks, Chuck

the Bach-man

Dear Chuck,
Not being involved with gear btarin design, I have no idea why one was chosen over the other. I believe the Mallet is 1:28, though...
Have fun!
the Bach-man

lkydvl

Any chance the new articulated gears could be used to replace the K's?

Andre`

calenelson

Quote from: the Bach-man on November 22, 2008, 11:05:10 PM
Dear Chuck,
Not being involved with gear btarin design, I have no idea why one was chosen over the other. I believe the Mallet is 1:28, though...
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Dear Bach-man,

I was told to ask you this question, so here I go....

Why did Bachmann choose the 28.1 ratio for the Mallet vs. the 14.x for the K? 

thanks and Merry Christmas!

cale

the Bach-man

Dear Cale,
The Mallet uses a different motor, and it was felt that this was the best ratio for this model/ motor combination.
Happy Holidays!
the Bach-man

calenelson

Quote from: the Bach-man on December 10, 2008, 11:24:01 PM
Dear Cale,
The Mallet uses a different motor, and it was felt that this was the best ratio for this model/ motor combination.
Happy Holidays!
the Bach-man

thanks!, any word on what motors were used this time?

Barry BBT

ikydvl,

The K-27 gearbox is very unique.  The axles are very large with inserts to allow the axles (all four ) to slide sideways, both directions.  The driven gear on the third axle is extra large.  Any new motive power would have to use the existing axle gearing.  The 2-6-6-2 appears to be more conventionally arranged; two vertical motors, small gearbox......seems similar to the Cinnie setup, with a better motor and gearbox. 

I am working on a mod for the K-27, it's got the right motor, it just needs the right gear ratio.  I'll keep everyone posted......but the Connie gearbox and motor come first.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.