News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

NWSL "Chopper"

Started by #94, December 11, 2008, 09:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Building a wood trestle for my Bachmann trains.
I am considering the "Chopper" by NWSL. Has anyone used this type of tool for cutting 1/8" hardwood dowels. If the blade and handle will cut this hard material it will save me the time of sawing dowels.

Other than the fine tooth craft/ modeling saw does anyony have a better idea? I have to cut 199 1/8" dowels for my 420' trestle.

Thank you.

pdlethbridge

I have one and use it to cut 1/8" basswood. It cuts fine and is very adjustable and it cuts great angles. Keep a supply of single edge razors on hand.

glennk28

I have a small (2" diameter blade) "Chop Saw"--got it at Harbor Freight Tools for about $25 or so--Similar to one sold by Micro Mark, but much lower price.  Don't knopw if this "Toy Store" has an outlet in your area, but they also operate online.  gj

the Bach-man

Dear All,
I have both versions of the chop saw, and for a precision cut, there's no comparison- Micro-Mark all the way!
Happy Holidays!
the Bach-man

taz-of-boyds

I have the NWSL Chopper III.  I used it for cutting styrene shapes for a truss bridge I built.  It had a tremendous effect with all common length parts I had to cut.  I think it would have been impossible without it.  There is a price difference between the powered saw and the chopper.  But one or the other could make a big difference in your work.

Bach Man, how well does the power saw do on styrene?  Does it have a tendency to melt it?

Thanks,
Charles

PS, photos of bridge available:
http://groups.ebay.com/photo/Train-Use-Bridge/304313902
http://www.nscale.net/index.php?q=gallery&g2_itemId=47847

grumpy

I use both NWSL Chopper 111 and the Micromarx 2" table saw. The choppper is great for soft woods and styrene. For hardwood and styrene I prefere the table saw.  Micro Mark have a sale on the table saw but it must be purchased over the internet. The ideal piece of equipment would be a band saw. When building G scale projects I use my band saw the most. Hope this helps. My wife says I own every tool known to man . Not true . I just found a new one and it will be in my workshop shortly.
Don ;)

Yampa Bob

With these you can cut any angle you need "on site". Check your local hardware store for better price. 

http://www.naturehills.com/product/anvil_pruning_shears.aspx

Unless you order in special hardwoods, dowels available in hardware or lumber stores are made of "Ramin" wood, from the tropical forests.   

TIP: Always cut lengths about 1/64"-1/32" over, then sand to fit with 100 grit paper glued to a flat board with rubber cement.  The fingernail file boards sold in packs of 10 also work well, doublesided and cheap.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Mr. Yampa Bob you may be brilliant and "outside the box". So you are saying buy a pair of $16.00 Anvil "rose" pruners instead of a $175.00 Chop Saw for dowel cutting? So dowels are "Ramin" wood not hardwood but they are a hard wood?

Thanks

Woody Elmore

Hardwoods are from trees that lose their leaves - balsa is technically a hardwood. Conifers, like pine, hew, fir and hemlock, are softwoods.

Ramin is a hardwood from the Phillipines and Indonesia and is quite commonly used in furniture - it has a very white wood. Almost all the world's supply has been depleted and the tree is an "endangered species." It is harvested illegally in most countries.

Yampa Bob

I have used a similar pair for many years, cutting tiny dowels and balsa sticks for model airplanes. I keep the edge sharp with a small "Hard Arkansas" stone. 

The "anvil" is usually made of brass so it won't damage the blade. If you happen to have small trees on your property, they will double as a branch pruner.  :D

I might also suggest looking at the 12" long bamboo skewers at a super market. (used for "shish-kabobs")  They are slightly smaller, roughly equivalent to an 8" pole in HO scale. Cheaper and more convenient to use but very strong.  

pdlethbridge

And just think, you will be the first in your neighborhood with a Shish ka bridge

Yampa Bob

Awww gee, you left off the "bob".  :'(

pdlethbridge

SteamGene

That's only for people who make over $250,000 a year and whose wife is a DAR. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

I use the skewers for all kinds of modeling projects. Soaked in boiling water, they can be formed into tight curves for arch bridges. I even made several uncoupling wands by shaping one end. Keep away from children, the points are very sharp.

Another way to cut them is with diagonal side cutters ("dikes") and flush cutting end nippers.

BTW, precision flush cutting side and end nippers also work great on styrene. Say you need to cut a corner notch, just a couple snips, touch up with an emery board and it's done.

My old standby for cutting 90/45 angles in rods or other structural pieces is a small aluminum mitre box and razor saw. The "V" shaped teeth cut both ways, I use 52-54 TPI blades and cut on the pull stroke, one stroke usually does the job. Also handy for cutting railroad track.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/xac/xacx75320.htm