News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

LIGHTING in "TRAIN ROOM"

Started by bevernie, November 05, 2008, 12:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bevernie

:oMy "TRAIN ROOM" is downstairs in half of a family room, and it is DARK down there! Since I have trains on the wall, it would be difficult to put up lights, and I can't figure a way to put the lights in the ceiling without running the wires up the wall!Does anyone have any ideas?
                                                                                               THANX!!
                                                                                                  Ernie
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

Yampa Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

WoundedBear

Cool solution Bob.

I could see running those up the wall and using surface mount lamps attached to the wall studs.

You could also support a lamp system off of your benchwork. Build vertically up the back and hang small flourescent lamps from light chain. Hide the wires and support system behind your backdrop.

This has me rethinking a few things for my next layout.

Sid

bevernie

The problem that I run into is that running up the wall tends to interfere with the trains that I have on display on shelves. Perhaps I can get a picture of my train room tomorrow, but for now, I've got to go to work!
                                                                                            THANX!!
                                                                                               Ernie

Steve Magee

Can you put a valance/pelmet/insert local idiom here above the layout, level with the front edge of the benchwork? Then you can run wires behind it, mount the lights on it, and the lights dont shine in your eyes when running the layout.

The front of the fascia can be used for anything from family or train pictures up to a a schematic of the whole layout, with signal repeaters, occupancy lights, the whole deal. On mine I have an 8' x 4' pull down screen mounted on it and a ceiling mounted projector, and keep all my train DVD's there .... :)

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Australia

pdlethbridge

I just hung 3  4' fluorescents  in ther basement for the trains.I had easy access to the floor beams and the power cord is well hidden.

grumpy

You can buy Track lighting that will mount on the ceiling and then plug in some small or large flood lights . I have lighted most of my layout that way. The flood light can be swiveled to focus them .
Don

bevernie

Quote from: grumpy on November 07, 2008, 12:42:13 AM
You can buy Track lighting that will mount on the ceiling and then plug in some small or large flood lights . I have lighted most of my layout that way. The flood light can be swiveled to focus them .
Don
      Actually, I've thought about doing this with "low votage" lighting, but again, I run into the problem of getting the power to the lights without going up the walls.
     The possibility that someone suggested of going up the wall behind it, from an outlet below seems plausible, but I've really not firmly decided yet!
      HEY!! I just remembered, the people that had this house before had some speakers wired from across the room to the upper corner that would be ideal for low voltage lighting, so that may indeed be my answer!
    THANX!!for all the help, guys! I'll let you know how it turns out, and if I ever get a camera working, I'll even post pictures!
                                                                                         THANX!!
                                                                                           Ernie

Yampa Bob

If the wall is interior with conventional wood studs and sheetrock or paneling, a local electrician can run Romex from an existing low receptacle up the wall cavity to a higher box and receptacle.  You can do it yourself if you have electrician skills, and a "fish tape" to pull the wires.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

bevernie

But, again and still, I would run into the problem of having a big (#10) wire coming out from the wall to power this "thing" that must needs to be fastened to the ceiling (which I was trying to avoid in the first place!). It just seems more practical to use low power lighting supported by small pieces of wood or metal extending from the wall. Being lighter in weight, they would not require a great deal of support!
Oh, well...Sabbath is coming on, so this discussion, along with the project, will have to wait 'til later!
                                                          ;)
                                                                                          THANX!!
                                                                                            Ernie

Stephen D. Richards

What kind of ceiling is in your family room?  I've got something similar, but I also have a drop ceiling.  It was easy to run the power from a switch that I could get to easily and place the lighting units.  Stephen

bevernie

Would that I had a drop ceiling! Unfortunately it is a plaster ceiling with the only attic being a ceiling fan with a light hanging down in the middle.  I think since I have got a speaker wire in the corner I will put in low power lighting and figure some way to support them with a small rod or a piece of wood extending out from the wall.  THANX!!  Ernie

bevernie

;DIn a local "junk store", I found a set of track lights, bulbs and all , that were on sale for 1/2 of their original asking price of $20! They are perfect for my train room!
Across the depth of the room, I put up a 2x4, and suspended these lights from it. The lights came with a cord attachment that I stapled to the 2x4 and ran down the wall to the outlet. I also had a "switched receptacle" (a plug that has a switch controlling it) so that I could put the switch at the entrance of the room!                  :o
It all worked out so well! You'll never believe what kind of (USEFULL) bargains that you can find at a "junk store"!!
                                                                                    THANX!!
                                                  8)                                 Ernie