News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Scale loop problem

Started by treno, December 12, 2008, 07:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Satnik

What is the name (make, model and item #) of your set?  What is the name on the controller?  Did the controller come with the set?

The most important parts of the reverse loop are the 4 insulated rail joiners between the loop and the 2 routes of the turnout. 

"The Complete Atlas Wiring Book" (book #12 - available at hobby shops) goes through the wiring of a reverse loop.  It's a good book, though you don't always need the fancy and expensive Atlas electrical switches that are shown.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

treno

I have the Bachmann Digital Commander set with the EZ Command Control Center.  I'll try to upload a copy of the layout tomorrow.  Would the insulated gap track work instead of the auto-reversing track???

Joe Satnik

Dear Treno,

The auto reversing track will not help you in this case.

The insulated gap track will work if both rails are gapped.   

You will need another gap track piece for a total of 4 gaps per loop.  The gaps should be as close to the turnout as possible.

Hope this helps.

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

treno

Will I need a separate Command unit to power the loop??

BIG BEAR

Treno,
   Just for clarification, the auto reversing track is only extra curves & lengths for the trolley sets.
   The auto reverser is for reversing the flow of electicity at that specific point each & every time the motive power passes it.
   I hope this helps & I hope this explains to alot of others who don't use trolleys or reversers just don't know the specific applications.
   Don't forget, "the only stupid question, is the one that isn't asked" as several people can learn from another's quetions.

Barry

Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

treno

To recap, all I need is a couple of insulated gapped pieces of track near the turn-outs and no additional transformer power unit?

Joe Satnik

Treno,

Did you get my e-mail reply?

Joe

treno

Joe Satnik

I replied to your e-mail, the same address shown above.

Check your spam filter? 

Joe

Joe Satnik

Mike,

I just re-sent your e-mail.  Hopefully it will get through.  Let me know.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 

treno

Did not get it.  Adjusted my spam filter.  Try again.

Joe Satnik

Just sent it again. 

If this fails I will just post it to the board here. 

Joe

Cassshay10

Mabye you should check and see if its in a bind somewhere. I have a 7x4 and had the same problem. One side was 54 in of straight trackage and the other was 57. Afterwards, I felt like an idiot.

pdlethbridge

thir is how a reverse loop should be wired and insulated. ( From Jim Banner's site )

http://www.members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/loop/loop1.gif