G-Scale 4-6-0 Northern Express Complete Set

Started by Billy B, December 12, 2008, 07:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy B

I received a G-Scale 4-6-0 Northern Express Complete Set as a gift.  It was sold back in the 80's.  Do you have other products that go along with this set?  Do you have another set like it?  Could you please give me more info about this set?  This set was not used.  It's still in the orginal boxes and it is in excellent condition.  I am scared to set it up and use it fearing that it will take away from the value of this set.  The engine has the # 10 on it.  Does that mean that it was the 10th engine made for that type of set?  Any info you could give me would be great.  Thanks so much.

Paul W.

Billy,
Not to burst your hopes, there is not much collectors value in these early sets. You can run even modern day equipment and rolling stock with it. These early sets don't have the modern drive trains, so my suggestion is, if you want to run the train, do it  ;D

If your plan is to sell, that's fine too, but don't expect to get rich.

As for your question about the numbers, these are just the builders plate numbers, and you will find the same number on all the same engines. Bachmann still makes starter kits, but the mechanics are much better now.
Happy Steamin'

Paul

scottychaos

No, the "10" does not mean its the 10th set..
the 10 is simply the road number of the locomotive..
Most all locomotives (real and model) have numbers..
real railroads number their locomotives to tell them all apart.

As paul said, this isnt a terribly valuable set..
you have either the battery powered set, or one of the early track powered sets..either way, the street value of the set, even in new condition, is about $100 to $150 dollars..the locomotive itself could fetch $25 to $50.

This is a rather "low end" set as far as G-gauge trains go..
common and inexpensive..not "in demand"..

but..having said that, there is nothing wrong with it either! ;)

Just set up the set, run it and enjoy it! :)
"value" is a non-issue...except for the "fun value"! :)
(which is much higher than the monetary value!)

Scot