News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO DCC operation.

Started by geosinner101, December 13, 2008, 08:46:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geosinner101

Just acquired a new Spectrum DCC equipped locomotive. What DCC equipment is required to operate a one engine layout? Is the Bachmann 44902 EZ Command DCC Control System applicable?

Also, is the coupler on the Spectrum tender compatable with the Silver line of Bachmann rolling stock. I'm brand new to this HO business. Thanks for any information!

ta152h0

-An ohmeter ( to check for shorts between rails  prior to powering up )
-notebook to keep track of addresses/locomotives
-money
-box of KADEE couplers
-booster transformer ( the one you got is never big enough)
-more money
-track gauge
=I have an MRC Prodigy Advance 2 works well for my use ( intermittent play time )

hew16782

need a good resourse to set up dcc system. wiring switches and crossovers etc

lmackattack

you need a DCC system to control DCC locos a standard DC controller will not operate a DCC loco. DCC is considered usefull if you have more than just a circle track plan and have sidings or spur tracks that will store idle locos wile not in use. It also removes the mess of wires with complex track plans

Yes the bachman EZ command will get you up and running and is great for small starter sets. Personaly I  considered It nothing more than a starter DCC set that allows a new user to get an under standing of DCC and how engines perform with it. If you plan to get more involved in the hobby look into the MRC Andvanced DCC system. it has more functions and is not all the pricey. In the long run it will be better once you get into owning 10 locos and have a larger layout.

Do you have a hook horn style coupler or a Knuckel coupler? the nuckel couplers look like the real thing

Regardless the couplers to not interchange. You need to have one or the other. or you can make a freight car that has a hook horn on one end and a nuckle on the other. my suggestion is pick on now and make sure they all are of the style you pick. Most people chouse the kadee brand nuckle couplers

Trent

Yampa Bob

Bachmann, and most other brands with dual mode decoders, will operate on DC power out of the box. Of course you can only have one loco on the live track at one time, unless you run 2 or more locos in consist.

Even with DCC you should still add extra power feeds at least every 6 feet around the track. Don't count on rail joiners to provide reliable power connection.

Also, don't underestimate the performance of the EZ Command control system. I keep 9 locos on my layout all the time. In two years of running DCC, I have never found the need to adjust CVs.  In fact, the more I read about the complexities of changing CV values, the more I like and enjoy my EZ Command.

I realize I am very much in the minority on this issue, but I enjoy running my trains, with as little hassle as possible. Unless you are running multiple sound equipped locos and need all the "bells and whistles", the EZ Command will serve you well, it is a masterpiece in design and simplicity.  I even bought a second one to have on hand in the unlikely event Bachmann will discontinue the controller.

EZ Command will operate up to 3 non-sound DCC locos at one time. For a single operator with a small layout, that's hard to handle. I rarely run more than one at a time. It's your railroad and your money, but you should ask yourself, do you want to just have fun running trains, or spend a lot of time fiddling with CVs?
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Frisco

Quote from: lmackattack on December 13, 2008, 06:19:42 PM
you need a DCC system to control DCC locos a standard DC controller will not operate a DCC loco.
Not with most locomotives. I run Bachmann DCC locomotives on DC all the time.

Jim Banner

A layout featuring one locomotive, either dc or DCC, does not need a DCC controller at all.  A regular power pack will run the locomotive on dc with no problems.  You can even have more than one locomotive but you will not be able to run more than one train at a time.  That one train can have more than one locomotive, just as real trains do.  But it is still only one train. 

Be warned, however, that few model railroaders are satisfied for long with running only one train at a time.  Most want to run two or more trains at the same time and have independent control of those trains.  Then you need a DCC controller.  Advanced DCC systems often run with a separate throttle for each train.  But that means extra costs, often at a time when the model railroader is more interested in putting his available funds into track, rolling stock, scenery, etc.  The solution is to start off in DCC with an inexpensive DCC starter set, such as the E-Z Command.  These sets typically have a single throttle to control speed, direction, and other functions.  But that throttle can be switched between trains when it is necessary to change their speed, direction, or functions.  The other trains keep running or stay stopped as dictated by their last throttle adjustment.  E-Z Command has the easiest possible system for switching its throttle among trains.  And that is what DCC is all about - easy operation of multiple trains.

Another, often overlooked, advantage of starter systems is the ease of learning how to operate them.  It is a balance between how much the DCC system will do and how much you have to learn to make it do it.  Again the beginner often (usually?) is more interested in learning how to lay track or make scenery, or just running his trains than he is in learning how to program decoders beyond the necessity of changing addresses.  For many, that is reason enough to put off upgrading to a more advanced system until it finally (if ever) becomes necessary.

There are many good DCC systems out there and they all have their good points and their bad points.  Unfortunately most of the recommendations you will get will be from people basing their recommendations on the system they chose to buy for their railway and their way of operating it.  In part, I too am guilty of this, at least to the extent that I plan to use E-Z Command to operate the portable 0n30 layout that I am currently building.  My reasons are simple - this layout is capable of supporting two or three trains so I don't need anything more complex.  A E-Z Command is an easy system to show members of the public how to operate if they would like to run my trains at a show.

I feel at this point that I should explain where I am coming from.  E-Z Command is far from my total involvement in DCC.  I started off with MRC then moved up to Digitrax when my H0 layout outgrew my MRC system.  At present, it can accommodate 7 operators, each with his own throttle (more if some bring throttles with them) and its multiple boosters allow up to 10 or so trains, all with multiple locomotives.  My third layout, a large scale garden railroad, runs on a mixture of MRC and Digitrax equipment for multiple operators or I can use my E-Z Command as the control if I am running multiple trains alone.  Before DCC, I was designing and building my own multiple train operating systems, as far back as 1966.  But what could be done then fades into insignificance compared to even the simplest of DCC systems available today.

Bottom line, unless you are convinced that you will never, ever want to run more than one train at a time, you might as well start off with DCC now and be prepared for even more model railroad fun in the future.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Rangerover

Quote from: Yampa Bob on December 13, 2008, 09:25:55 PM
Bachmann, and most other brands with dual mode decoders, will operate on DC power out of the box. Of course you can only have one loco on the live track at one time, unless you run 2 or more locos in consist.

Even with DCC you should still add extra power feeds at least every 6 feet around the track. Don't count on rail joiners to provide reliable power connection.

Also, don't underestimate the performance of the EZ Command control system. I keep 9 locos on my layout all the time. In two years of running DCC, I have never found the need to adjust CVs.  In fact, the more I read about the complexities of changing CV values, the more I like and enjoy my EZ Command.

I realize I am very much in the minority on this issue, but I enjoy running my trains, with as little hassle as possible. Unless you are running multiple sound equipped locos and need all the "bells and whistles", the EZ Command will serve you well, it is a masterpiece in design and simplicity.  I even bought a second one to have on hand in the unlikely event Bachmann will discontinue the controller.

EZ Command will operate up to 3 non-sound DCC locos at one time. For a single operator with a small layout, that's hard to handle. I rarely run more than one at a time. It's your railroad and your money, but you should ask yourself, do you want to just have fun running trains, or spend a lot of time fiddling with CVs?

Bob you're not alone, everything you said I agree with! 

bnsonger47

Jim Banner, I do appreciate your posts. This one on DCC is especially helpful to those of us new to or back to HO railroading. Personally, I've been away for nearly 30 years. Now that I'm in my second childhood as an adult I figure I'll have a longer time to enjoy the experience). For sure, it doesn't cost as much as having a motorhome or a big boat.
Byron Songer
Victorian Crossing
Louisville, KY

Jim Banner

Byron, thanks for the kind words.  And welcome back to the Wonderful World of Model Railroading.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Yampa Bob

Rangerover,
I'm glad to know I'm not alone, in fact there are probably thousands of modelers who feel the same way we do. But "numbers" isn't the issue, and I have no interest in polls.

Those who promote the virtues of higher end controllers need to understand that some of us enjoy running one train at a time, and fully concentrating on that one train.  After all in the real world it's "one Engineer, one train".  So for me at least, I don't feel the more advanced controllers are "better". As I have stated many times, I have neither the desire or need to fine tune CVs, even with my sound equipped AC 4400. 

I have only one mainline, which is prototypical for my area, but I have 2 elaborate storage yards. My enjoyment is running one train for a while, parking it on a siding, then running another totally different train, or spending time working the yard with my 3 switchers.  In this respect I am striving for realistic operation, with emphasis on switching, and anyone who says I'm wrong needs to read my signature line.  8)

I forgot to mention that the EZ Command controller can be upgraded to having 2 separate throttles by adding a remote panel and EZ "walk around" Companion. I installed the Companion on the far side of my layout, my wife can run one train on the main while I'm working the yard, or I can also pull onto the main and pace (or chase) her train. Having 2 operators is twice as much fun.

I have an opinion regarding the current psychology of Model Railroading, but I make it a practice to keep my opinions to myself.  :D

pdlethbridge

I guess I'm at the other end of the spectrum.I have a higher end system ( NCE power cab ) on a small layout that is 2- 4' x 8' cut in a bog bone shape for a longer loop. I don't mind adjusting CV's, but I rarely ever run more than 1 loco at a time. The locos I don't use are in the roundhouse that has a cutoff switch to each stall and side track so I can store an extra 4 engines. The turntable is decoder equipped but has its own cut off switch as well. That's 5 decoders not in use, but available. I also have an AR-1 from digitrax to control the reversing of the turntable when it's in operation. There are 3 DS-64 self-powered units from digitrax to control all the switch machines from the hand held power cab. It's very easy to use but if I want to change something, I can. Simple is great, but it does have limitations, and for an extra $50-$60, the power cab was a great choice for me. I was originally thinking of the ez command, but wanted something a little more controllable and dynamis wasn't on the market when I bought the Power Cab.

lmackattack

one thing that also come into play for some (like me) is in the case of joining a model RR club. I bought a MRC advanced 2 for my home layout. then a year later I joined a Club. I needed a controller when at that club..now I can rent controllers there for $5 (returnable) but it becomes more of a headach waiting for one.  Some may want to consider that if they plan on joining a club it might be better to buy the same brand of DCC for home? just putting the thought out there

pdlethbridge

My brother has the Power cab on his layout and that was another reason I went that way too.

Yampa Bob

There are several good reasons to buy a more advanced system as previously stated. The most important reason being, "Because that's what I prefer".  That's the nice thing about this hobby, it can be simple to complex depending on the wants and needs of the modeler.

One thing is certain, DCC Command systems will continue to evolve. When the right one comes along that has all the features and benefits I want and need, I will no doubt give it a try.