News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Just purchased Digital Commander set

Started by mac_daddy, March 16, 2007, 11:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac_daddy

Hello all,

I just purchased the Digital Commander set. Since I have NEVER purchased my own train set before (my first Tyco set was a gift) I don't have a clue other than knowing that DCC is the way I wanted to start out.

Anyone have any suggestions with this set? Tracks that are compatible, power issues, etc?

I've read everyone stating that the EZ Commander is a good entry platform and that is where I want to start. I didn't want to spend a lot at first since the last thing I need is to have expensive scale paper weights.

I might also add,  I am not opening the box for a few months since this is mainly my 4 yr old's set, even though I know he won't be the one playing with it all of the time!  ::)

Hunt

To start, I encourage you to click on the E-Z Command link above and read all the information available.

Also, watch the E-Z Command instructions on the DVD included with the set.

As you already know, this train set is not for a 4-year-old to play with without fulltime supervision.

Jim Banner

Bachmann's E-Z Command is a good starter set.  Switching the speed and direction controls between locomotives is the easiest on the market.  And it is expandable, allowing you to add separate throttles so that you and your offsprings can each run a train.

There are no power issues, at least in a small layout.  If and when it gets larger, you might eventually want to add a booster for more power to run more trains all at the same time.  Or maybe not.  If you only want to run two or three trains at a time, there is no need for more power, no matter how large the layout.

Bachmann E-Z track is a good place to start with track.  The locking plastic base allows you to set up temporary layouts that will stay together for hours, weeks or years.  Rather than leave your E-Z Commander in its box, why not install a decoder in a locomotive, set up an oval of track, and start having fun right now.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Hunt

The locomotives in the Digital Commander set are decoder equipped.

Jake

Yes, bachmann E-Z Command is a perfect entry level system. I have just outgrown it and now I'm awaiting a Digitrax Zephyr set to push me further into the world of DCC. And if you know you will soon be progressing to a larger permanent layout with full on DCC more advanced than E-Z command this would also be good time to Purchase DCC Made Easy, a book written by Lionel strang (http://kalmbachcatalog.stores.yahoo.net/12242.html). Trust me if it can help a 13 year old like me it can help someone with a 4 year old kid.  :D
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

Jim Banner

mac_daddy, my error.  Bachmann's combined DCC command station, throttle and booster has sometimes been referred to as an E-Z Commander.  But as Hunt has pointed out, the E-Z Commander set is a different kettle of fish.

As you have this set, you already have two locomotives with decoders and an oval of track.  So why not open it up, set it up, and learn about DCC the hands-on way.  The instructions can seem complicated, arbitrary and hard to remember when you just read the book.  But when you actually do the operations, following the book word for word, they become much easier.

Jake's suggestion is excellent too.  But reading up on DCC in general will make more sense once you have learned to operate your own system first, which is what Hunt was advocating above.

Sorry about confusing the issue with my own confustion - that will teach me not to be posting at 2 o'clock in the morning!
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

mac_daddy

Again, thanks for the info Jim and all.

Basically, I was totally perplexed where to jump into the hobby, seeing the O gauge. HO and N scales. N scale seemed to small, I was at the Houston Train Show earlier in March and saw some really small trains on some great layouts...but I wanted to see more detail. I don't have the space for the O gauge. So back to where I was 25 years ago...when I had a Tycho set.

Also, as a tip...I bought this set at a local Hobby Lobby with a 40%-off coupon... and the checkout girl flubbed up on the price and gave it to me for under $40.00 including discount. OH YEAH, don't tell me that I am keeping this set as a starter.