News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Replacement Sound Decoder

Started by Pepper, December 11, 2008, 07:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepper

I have a HO SD-45 Loco - DCC Equipped engine (Item #82717).  What DCC sound decoder do you recommend for this engine?  Do I use a plug n play in the existing circuit board OR do I remove the board and hard wire a replacement harness decoder in?

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

Most agree the sound decoder of choice is the Soundtraxx Tsunami. There are a couple of things to consider.

First is available space in the shell for decoder and speaker. The Tsunami is available in two types, the larger !000 series with a JST 9 pin connector, or a smaller 750 series (Micro-Tsunami), which I understand must be hard wired.

Second, the new Diesel Tsunami is made in many different "prime movers" to match the full size locomotives.  There are 7 versions for EMD, and just recently Soundtraxx released the first GE versions.

You need to visit with a knowledgeable dealer or call Soundtraxx before purchasing a diesel sound decoder.  There is information on the different prime movers at this site, or call their toll free number and ask for "Roger", their decoder expert.

http://www.caboosehobbies.com/catalog/index_home.php
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

rperego

Maybe all the sound decoders have this issue, but I've noticed with the Tsunamis I have that if you mute the sound, even the slightest power interruption "undoes" the muting - even a glitch that isn't noticable in the running of the motor.   I asked if a bigger capacitor could be used but they said no.  It's not a big deal but on O-4-O locos I've added a wired in pickup on the first car back to help avoid the problem.

richG

If you consider the Tsunami, join the Yahoo SoundTraxx DCC group where there has been much discussion of the diesel Tsunami. Bruce of Litchfield Station and Rick of DCC Sales are there along with other users and installers of the Diesel decoder.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/soundtraxx/

That way you can bring back knowledge of the diesel decoder to these forums.

Rich