News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Loose shell on Dash 8-40C

Started by darkcurves, March 17, 2007, 07:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkcurves

Dear Bach Man, i have bought your Dash 8-40C not long ago. It was a great model, ran quietly and very smooth. Recently while placing the engine on the track, the shell came off by itself. I removed the fuel tank to screw the shell back but found out that the holes for the screw enlarged. The screws were suddenly too small for the holes. I try to adjust without the screw but the engine makes this weird rattling whenever it's running. I would like to get a spare shell, please tell me how do i go about doing this. I am from Malaysia and sending the engine to US would be very costly. Everything else is fine, so i just need a spare shell. Thank you.

James in FL

If the bosses are not cracked, put a small sliver of paper down into the hole tighten the screw and rip off the excess paper.
If the bosses are cracked, fill with epoxy, and after cured, re-drill new holes of the proper size.
A repair could be made by cutting a proper length piece of either round hollow or round solid styrene. Remove the broken ones and glue the new ones in place. Drill if necessary.

darkcurves

Thanks for the tip, very helpful.

I have another problem now. After running for 30 minutes, it just died. Wont move but the LEDs are super bright. Also it smelt like something was burning. Where can i get a replacement motor?

Mannnn, no wonder they call em junks.

Franz T

They have a lifetime warranty. If you bought it in the last year, there is no processing charge. (Although looking at the picture, it looks like an early release of the Dash-8)
Just stick it back in the box, send it to B'mann and they will replace it for you.
Their customer service is excellent.

Franz T

darkcurves

I did buy it off Ebay few months back, not even one year. It was brand new. Warranty still valid? Also i heard sometimes when they send for warranty, Bachmann replaces it with a different type of locomotive. For example a friend sent his SD40 or SD45(cant remember which) back to Bachmann, only to be replaced with U23B. The reason i bought this locomotive is because Dash 8-40C is my favourite locomotive and unfortunately only Bachmann makes em.

darkcurves

So anyone have experienced this before? Can i be assured i will get back a Dash 8-40C if Bachmann decides to replace it?

Franz T

Generally, if the model is still in production, B'mann will replace it with the same model, usually with the same roadname. I sent in a 2-8-0 ATSF I had purchased in the 80's about 3 years ago an B'mann replaced it with a current production 2-8-0 spectrum (no complaints from me on that part..) I did have to call to check on the status after about 3 weeks and the lady in the service dept told me they had no ATSF in stock and were waiting for one to send me. We agreed to replace it with a Boston & Maine....
Since the Dash 8-40C is still in production, albeit in an updated version from the model in your picture, I am fairly certain that it will be replaced with the same model.
On the other hand if you were to send in a Doodlebug, I would expect that to be replaced wth something different...

HTH

Franz T

darkcurves

Thanks man! That's all i needed to know.   :)