News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Y-3

Started by adari, December 18, 2008, 03:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adari

What is the minumuim radius of the proto 2000 2-8-8-2 and what is the smallest radius it looks good on

jayl1

According to Walthers, it should run on 18" radius.  Personally I think it would look better on 24" or larger radius.

SteamGene

To look GOOD - at least 30". 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Frisco

It is all a matter of opion. To me it looks good going around 22".

ebtbob

Good Evening All,

I have learned from experience as well as listening to customers in the local train store that whenever you see an advertised minimum radius,  add anywhere from 2 to 4 inches to that advertised minimum radius.
        A perfect example of that is the new PCM 2-10-0.    Advertised at either 18 or 22r,   forget it.    !8 inch is out of the question,  and even 22r is really tight for that engine.   The problem is how close the tender is coupled to the engine.   On a 22r curve,  the cab and tender deck can make contact.
        As for what looks good?     You already got a good answer.   It is up to you as to what looks good.   For the Proto 2000 Y3,   Gene is right,   30 looks nice.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

grumpy

The 2-10-0 doesn't but yet the 2-10-2 does . A lot depends on wheel spacing diam of the wheels and blind drivers.
Don