News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-6-2 Mallet Has Arrived

Started by Jon D. Miller, December 19, 2008, 05:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon D. Miller

Here are pictures of the Mallet with an outside frame Connie, Annie 10-Wheeler, and a 38 ton Shay.

Outside frame Connie and Mallet.

10-Wheeler Annie of 1:22.5 scale with the Mallet.

38 ton Shay with the Mallet.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Santa Fe buff

I love the look at the 2-6-6-2 Mallet! If only it was manufacured in HO scale... Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Josh
- Joshua Bauer

darkdaniel100

My Mallet turned up this morning! Just in time! Cant believe how fast I got mine, was shipped from US on monday arrived in the UK today! Have to wait till tomorrow though before i can open it :(

Loco Bill

Great pic Jon,  The comparison shots were perfect!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

Jon D. Miller

darkdaniel100,

I feel certain you will be well pleased with this locomotive.

A word of caution.  See the post in reference to a potential problem with crank pin hex head bolts.

Check yours before putting it into service.  Information on taking care of this matter is contained in the referenced post.

Merry Christmas!

JD

Ray Dunakin

Wow, seeing it next to the others, it's actually a good deal smaller than I'd thought.

Visit www.raydunakin.com for photos, step-by-step articles and other information about the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Peter O

Ray, that's exactly my thought. I am now wondering if it would make a good mate for my LGB Uintah Mallet? Those shots seemed to indicate a possibility, especially the one with the Annie.

I think I need to measure the LGB and then compare the width, cab height etc with the specs for 2-6-6-2T and see where that takes me.

Peter.

Peter O

OK. So, since the Bachmann site is light on dimension specifics, I'd really appreciate it if one of the fortunate few that Santa was kind to this year, could take some measurements for me.

Specifically, I'd like to know:

- the hieght of the cab (from cab floor to cab roof)
- the width of the cab (outside)
- the widest measurement of the loco (if it's not the cab)
- the hieght of the cab (from rail top to cab roof)
- the overall hieght (from rail top to highest point - the cab light?)

I think with that info I can make a pretty good assement as to the locos (do we have a nickname name yet?) ability to fit in with my "legacy" bachmann fleet.

Thanks in advance.

Peter.

Jon D. Miller

Peter O,
Here you go. Please note all measurements were made with my highly accurate Tru-Value Hardware yardstick! ;)

Height of Cab:
3 3/8" cab floor to edge where cab side meet roof line.
4 1/2" cab floor to top of cab roof vent.
6 3/4" from railhead to top of cab roof vent.

Cab width:  4 3/4"  (does not include grab irons).

Widest measurement:  5" at front engine's steam cylinders.

Overall height:  7 3/4"  railhead to top of backup light.

By the way, the locomotive measures 26"  coupler to coupler, as delivered.

The locomotive's weight is 12 pounds, six ounces.

JD

Paul W.

JD,
By watching the videos on your website, looks like the Mallet is not only a good looking engine, but is a good puller too ;D

Thanks for sharing with us
Happy Steamin'

Paul

Peter O

OK. Comparison measurements of new Bachmann Mallet to a captive LGB Uintah Mallet.

Height of Cab:
B  3 3/8"    L  3 1/4"  cab floor to edge where cab side meet roof line.
B  4 1/2"    L  4 1/4"  cab floor to top of cab roof vent.
B  6 3/4"    L  6 1/2"  from railhead to top of cab roof vent.

Cab width:  B 4 3/4"  L  4 1/4  (does not include grab irons).

Widest measurement:  5" at front engine's steam cylinders.

Overall height:  B  7 3/4" railhead to top of backup light.
                          L  6 1/2  railhead to eith top of cab or top of stack.

The B locomotive measures 26"  coupler to coupler, as delivered.
The L locomotive measures 24 1/2" coupler to coupler

So, I think it pretty safe to say this is a model of a relatively small NG loco, and unlike the preceeding K-27, not an NG derivative of a SG locomotive, which in turn resulted in a "large" model. My conclusion is that this loco is going to look "OK" running with the 1:22 which I think is good news for Bachmann, as it should result in additional sales.

The above is the personal opinion of the writer and does imply that everyone will or should come to this conclusion. As has been said before - it's your railroad, run what you want.

Enjoy your trains. Peter.

Jon D. Miller

PeterO,
From your comparison it would seem that the B'mann Mallet would "play nice" with your Uintah.  The new Mallet is a small locomotive that should fit in with 1:22.5 equipment.

I checked the size of a Big Hauler cab.  It is just slightly longer than the Mallet's plus it has more roof overhang.  The Big Hauler cab has slightly less cab height.  So, for many folks it would seem the Big Hauler would also "look" OK sharing a layout with the new Mallet.

JD

Charlie Mutschler

"So, I think it pretty safe to say this is a model of a relatively small NG loco, and unlike the preceding K-27, not an NG derivative of a SG locomotive, which in turn resulted in a "large" model." - Peter O. 

Actually, the K-27 was designed as a narrow gauge locomotive.  It was a much larger narrow gauge locomotive than most of the elderly power in use on the D&RG narrow gauge in 1903, but it was NOT a rebuild of a standard gauge locomotive.  The D&RGW did rebuild a group of ten standard gauge 2-8-0s into narrow gauge 2-8-2 - Class K-37.  The standard gauge locomotives used for this were much larger than the K-27 class, and the K-37's are much larger than any of the other three groups of 2-8-2's on the D&RGW narrow gauge. 

There has been some talk over the years that the mudhens were designed to be easily converted to standard gauge, but I suspect this is really idle speculation among the modeling community.  However, it should be noted that the National Railways of Mexico did in fact convert a few narrow gauge outside frame locomotives to standard gauge, including both of the K-27s they bought, and some of the 2-8-0s bought new. 

The 2-6-6-2T is a model of a proposed 36 inch gauge prototype which would have been tiny, much smaller than Uintah 50 and 51.  So by comparison, it should look close to the 1:22 equipment, and, if compared to the other Fn3 equipment, it will look small, because it would have been. 

Happy modeling and modifying all. 
Charlie Mutschler
-30-

Peter O

Charlie, I think you're right, and I didn't mean to suggest it was a rebuild of a SG but more likely using some best practices from the SG side of the Baldwin house to build a state-of-the-art NG loco.

I'm a big fan of CO NG and along with Unitah, I run DRGW and RGS locos, but the K-27 was just too big for my line. Instead I downsized a Connie to resemble a 1:22 C-25.

Looks like that when funds permit, an unlettered B 2-6-6-2T will be joining the Uintah fleet.

Peter.

tac

Quote from: Santa Fe buff on December 24, 2008, 12:13:09 AM
I love the look at the 2-6-6-2 Mallet! If only it was manufacured in HO scale... Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Josh

It is, by Mantua.

tac
www.ovgrs.org