News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Train Wreck

Started by WGL, December 18, 2008, 02:41:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGL

Did you hear about the collision of two Canadian Pacific trains in Southeastern Minnesota along the Mississippi on Wednesday?  I didn't even know that the CP ran trains that far south.
This didn't make CBS national news, but I saw it on CBS WCCO news:
http://wcco.com/local/train.derailment.ammonia.2.889273.html

Santa Fe buff

At least no one was seriously hurt! In contrast, there goes $500,000.00 or more of freight...

Thanks for sharing

Josh
- Joshua Bauer

BIG BEAR

Too bad the Amtrak will be disrupted until clean-up is done. Maybe they can work something out to run on the other side of the Mighty Mississip.
    I recall 20 years ago or so a freight train derailed near the same erea, butter was floating around for a couple months.

Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

Linzthom

Thankfully no one was too seriously injured or killed. Hardware can be replaced but not people. My thoughts go to them.

Lindsay T.
(New Zealand)
I'm going to live forever; or die trying

Jim Banner

"Three cars were leaking liquid nitrogen, a farm fertilizer..."  Must be some pretty cool farming in that part of the world - liquid nitrogen boils at -195.8 degrees.

I understand CPRail has running rights right down to the southern tip of Mexico.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

glennk28

I think CP owns Illinois Central---or at least controls it;.  gj

Frisco

Quote from: glennk28 on December 18, 2008, 08:51:27 PM
I think CP owns Illinois Central---or at least controls it;.  gj
Actualy I'm 99% sure that it is owned by CN.

Santa Fe buff

I'm 100% sure. Canadian National bought out Illinois Central, yet left some lines to CP. They repainted or kept locomotives with the IC scheme, but they are now CN.

Josh
- Joshua Bauer

Yampa Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim Banner

Thanks, Bob, for the link.  First time I had ever seen the term "liquid nitrogen" used to mean a fertilizer.  The term "liquid nitrogen fertilizer" as used at your link makes a lot more sense - a nitrogen fertilizer that is in liquid form.  Do you think the reporter appreciated the difference?
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Guilford Guy

Canadians are invading... CN owns the DMIR, ICRR, EJE, and several other American Railroads. CP owns the D&H, and just recently the DME/ICE.
Alex

Jhanecker2

Canada is our largest trading partner , it makes sense to have routes to our markets. We had routes through Canada earlier to save route miles between New York City and Chicago.  EJE is a fairly new purchase for CN, it is being used to bypass going through Chicago for products not going into Chicago to avoid congestion .  They and the adjoining Subrurbs are negociating  about  Train and  Auto traffic interactions at Grade Crossings. I remember that Metra Also wanted to use the EJE tracks for new routes to connect Commuter Lines further out from the city between the suburbs Should be an interesting series of discussions.