Can't get the engine to move?!

Started by bdgar12, December 20, 2008, 01:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdgar12

"Santa" gave my son a HO scale Bachmann EMD F9 Diesel trainset over 15 years ago.  I recently took it out and am thinking of building a set for it.  I have put the track together, hooked up the transformer and put the engine on to make sure it still works. 

Nothing happens until I lift the back of the engine off the tracks and then the motor runs I put it on the tracks and it stops. I have switched the wire connecting the transformer to the track and turned the plug in the socket.  I have checked the track to make sure it is connected and it is.

What do I need to do? Help me please!

Joe Satnik

Dear bdgar12,

My guess is that the front truck got turned around somehow. 

Have you had the shell off the chassis?

Does the front truck turn around even with the shell on?

Do you have an Ohm-meter, or know someone else who has one?

All left wheels should be connected to each other (less than 1 ohm).

All right wheels should be connected to each other (less than 1 ohm).

You should read about 10 ohms between any right wheel and any left wheel. (Motor and front light resistance.)

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

bdgar12

O.k. Checked the front truck and it doesn't move. Took the shell off and the wires look fine.  Don't have an Ohm-meter. 

As I said, if I lift the engine off the rear wheels, it runs until I put the back wheels down on the track and it stops.  (It is a HO scale EMD F9 Diesel engine.)  Any other suggestions or is there a troubleshooting guide on the website for HO scale trains?

Thanks,
Barry
aka bdgar12

az2rail

Sounds like your are shorting out. With the frame off, and the power on, slowly lower the rear trucks onto the track. When the short occurs, look to see if the frames touching anything, like bare wires or wheels.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Joe Satnik

Do you have a Harbor Freight tool store near by?  They sell multi-meters for under $5.   I've seen them on sale for as little as $2

Every electric model train owner should have one and learn how to use it.

Joe 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Yampa Bob

Hi bdgar, welcome to the board.

Just a thought, you might check to make sure the wipers are contacting all the drive wheels, and clean the wheel treads with isopropyl alcohol. If you have a 9 volt battery handy, try turning the loco over and touching the battery terminals across each pair of wheels. You might pick up a clue as to what's wrong.

Good luck
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Paul M.

Is your Bachmann F9 constructed the same way as the more abundant primitive Lifelike F7's? Does one truck pick up power and the other one have a motor directly attached to it? If so, are the power truck's wheels plastic?

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific