Christmas Hand Car power requirement?

Started by mekump, December 18, 2008, 04:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mekump

I have the Christmas Hand Car, Product Code: 96241. I just now set it up under the tree and it doesn't run very smooth using the LGB 50081 transformer. Is it ok to use this transformer to operate this car? I believe the max output of the transformer is 24 VDC @ 1 amp. My LGB loco runs very smooth on the same track and power.

Thank you,
Mike

taz-of-boyds

The wheels or electrical contacts of the hand car may be dirty, and need some cleaning, and a bit of lubricating.  Have you checked that?
Charles

mekump

Thanks for your reply.
The car is new so I didn't lubricating would be necessary. The wheels are still clean. This is my first Bachmann so I wasn't sure what the power requirements were for the hand car.

Thank you,
Mike

Loco Bill

These handcars are not the best runners due to the small size of the motors, and the gearing.  It also often stops on switches due to the short wheel base and the fact that the electrical contacts are from the wheels not wipers like on most LGB items. If it is new then it is best ot run it at various speeds and see if it settles down.  If it is yellow in color then it is one of the older ones.   The newer ones are grey in color and had a some what improved mechanism, but still not a great runner.   Your track and wheel on the handcar must be absolutely clean for the best posssible performance.  Even with considerable tweaking they still do not run great.   Some have had success by battery powering it with mini cells and wires run from the trailer to the motor.

Hope this info helps even if not the best of news!!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

Loco Bill

Sorry, my reading skills are wanting!!   The Christmas Handcar you have sould be either red or white in color.    Both colors had the same number.  The comments I made for the yellow and grey versions also apply to the christmas versions.  The red is the older version with the worst motor and gearing while the white is a later version with a better motor and gearing.  The transformer you are using is fine.

Again good luck
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

mekump

Thanks Loco Bill.
It is one of the new ones, white in color. Too bad it has a poor record of running well. IMHO, it's one of the best looking Christmas hand cars out there.

Thank you,
Mike

glennk28

Remember that the car was human powered--"Pat & Mike" have to pump hard to keep the car moving--so top speed isn't much.

The older ones were more reliable for pickup since the trailer car was set up to feed power to the pump car. 

Paul M.

But remember, reliability isn't always a good thing....

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific