News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Kaydee Couplers

Started by db22, December 20, 2008, 07:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmackattack

the kadee brands need more attention to detail when installing them. the hook horns have tabs that help keep them from slipping up and down so they seam like they work better. The kadee needs to be set to the correct hight on all cars to prevent them from uncoupling. Hight and no vertical slop are the 2 most important things. after you install the kadee you then need to check the hight of the bar to make sure it does not snag on switches and crossovers. Once you get the hang of installing them you will be happy.

kadee couplers and metal wheels make life all good!!

jacksonjag

If you go to the Kadee website, they have a H.O. scale coupler conversion list.  85' Bachmann passenger cars use #37, or #454.  Bachmann Spectrum pass cars use #27.  Maybe, the #5 is not designed to work with your cars.

WGL

I checked Kadee's recommendations for Spectrum Heavyweight passenger & observation cars.  They require different operations for front & rear couplers.  I thought that a car's two couplers were identical.  I don't even know front from back on the Pullman sleeper cars.

I have Spectrum heavyweight passenger cars, & the Bachmann couplers's shanks seem short.  So far, my passenger train is running (22" curves) without uncoupling or derailing, even with an Ahtearn passenger car in the middle & at the end with truck-mounted couplers.

Pacific Northern

I can not believe the number of people who are giving advice without first checking the Kaydee site. Most of that advice will simply lead to frustration.

At least a few people knew enough to check the Kaydee site first.
Pacific Northern

jacksonjag

I believe the Kadee site says, only the Bachmann Spectrum Observation car requires a #27 (front) & a #27 + 5 box (rear)  The rest use #27 front & rear, unless running tight radius track, then use #454 + 36.   (Conversion List 10-01-08)

WGL

Then, since the observation car is the last on the train, I don't see much point in changing its rear coupler.

Len

FYI for those who prefer metal couplers when doing conversions, the KD #47 is the metal equivelant of the plastic KD #27.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.