problems with WIlliams EL U33c

Started by ellisrh1, December 22, 2008, 05:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ellisrh1

I am having problem with my recently purchased EL U33c unit. It runs OK with a small Lionel 80 watt transformer but when i run it on my MRC Dual power 027 -270 watt its horn goes off as it moves, sometime stops dead and in neutral the horn sounds continuously. I ordered a true blast II board but i can't figure out if it can be installed or how to install it. The units seems very sensitive to the lightest track issues as apposed to the lionel transformer. I have a ELs FM, SD 45, and PA AA units   with no issues with the MRC power. Any ideas

thx

Bob

3rail

Hi Bob,

The MRC O27 transformer is very incompatible with many sound systems.  It produces a very chopped sine wave output which triggers many sound systems.  Does your U33c items description say with horn or with True Blast II?

The True Blast II board that you purchased should just be a two wire hookup.  If your loco still has the original wiring, you can simply remove the old sound board and connect the new baord to the same connection points Red to Red and Black to Black.

Regards,

3rail

ellisrh1

Thank you for your response. The unit has horn only. I did notice last night when the 'horn' goes off when the engine is idling, I can stop the horn for a while by pushing the the "Bell" button. Regarding where to plug the True Blast card, which  is the sound card, the one glued to the bottom of the chassis or the one mounted perpendicular to the chassis. Can you send me a diagram via email which card it is?
Thanks for your help.
Happy Holidays

Bob

3rail

Bob,

I don't have a diagram, but it is the smaller of the two electronic boards.  The electronic horns boards were a light tan color. 

I think I may have a modification diagram that may work to stop the constant horn blowing with the MRC unit.  I will not have access to it until next Tuesday, but I will post it if I can find it.

Regards,

3rail

ellisrh1

Thanks, can i splice the true blast wire in and remove the old sound board?

3rail

You can splice into the power wires, but I don't think the speakers have the same rating, so you want to use the speaker that is attached to your True Blast II board.

Regards,

3rail

ellisrh1

Installing the True Blast II card solved the problem, thanks for your help

BOb