News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Quality

Started by Mr.Train, December 23, 2008, 02:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Train

I was wondering (as always) if there is any difference in quality among bachmann trains.For example if I bought a 440 american in a set versus if I bought it sepertately as in just by its self would the quality of one  be better than the other?

pdlethbridge

There are a few differences in the loco line, Standard, which is also used in the sets, and spectrum line. It also has a few sets. Spectrum is much more detailed and is higher priced but I think the standard runs as well as the spectrum. You also have locos that are analog ( regular DC ), DCC ready and DCC equipped. Digital Command Control is the latest, greatest thing for model trains. Trains can even have sound that is controlled by the user from the throttle.

Hunt

Depends on when your locomotive was made (not when purchased). The current production is the same general design (motor in tender) but it is typical for Bachmann to make unpublicized changes to models. You will have to test run to see if a different one is better than the one you have.

The HO American 4-4-0 in the standard line is the same locomotive use in the train set. They are entry level. Bachmann has investigated improving the American 4-4-0 model including moving the motor from the tender to the locomotive. To date a suitable motor and gearing has not been developed.

However, a Bachmann HO Spectrum DCC sound On Board Richmond Modern 4-4-0 Example Item No. 85101 is better quality than the train set 4-4-0 locomotive.

Spectrum is Bachmann's current top-of-the-line

GlennW

I don't know if sometimes the locos tend to sit longer when in a set instead of a single unit. Older locos may need to be cleaned & relubed before going to work. This is a little more obvious in N scale where Bachmann is using different packaging and the newer rolling stock comes with the "new" knuckle couplers. If you know the tag system at Hobby Lobby, you can tell how long a box may sit on the shelf before being sold.

In either case, it would be easy to call Bachmann Service should your loco need any TLC.