News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-6-2 Potential problem

Started by locoron, December 23, 2008, 04:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locoron

I work at a local hobby shop. Got our first two mallets in Monday and the first one I sold had a broken crankpin bolt. These are very delicate so be careful not to over tighten as I doubt that replacements will be available.
The second one had loose bolts so I carefully snugged them down. Not TO tight!!
What a beauty and a good runner.
   Locoron

Jon D. Miller

locoron,

Good advice for owner's of the new 2-6-6-2T.

I checked all the crank pin bolts and wheel mounting Phillips screws before the Mallet was put into service.

Yesterday, after the Mallet had about 10 hours of run time I rechecked the crank pin bolts.  Four of the bolts were loose.  Two were on the crank pins that have the eccentrics.

Use a 9/32 hex head wrench to tighten the crank pin bolts.  A very small amount of Loctite 222 will serve to keep the crank pin bolts in place.  If no Loctite then just a little clear nail polish will work.  And as mentioned; don't
"crank" down on these bolts or the heads will twist off. 

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD

Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

glennk28

JD--is that the red loc-tite?  My loco is about 2 weeks off.  gj

darkdaniel100

Checked mine everything seems to be in order, will keep checking though thanks for advice

Glad I went for the Little River Logging Roadname looks awesome!

Jon D. Miller

Here's a picture of the Loctite 222 bottle.  This is what you want for small fasteners.

Notice the label notation for small fasteners.  Any Locotite product that is stronger will lock the fastener to the point it will usually break when trying to remove it.  But, applying heat will help break the item loose.  Not the best solution, but that will work.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)