News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Durango & Silverton OK for Outdoors?

Started by NGP_MASS, December 25, 2008, 01:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NGP_MASS

I just bought my son a Durango & Silverton with the expectation of setting up a true garden train.   But while it is sitting under the tree, I am wondering if I should have bought an R/C train instead, since the track will be impossible to keep completely dry.  Is the Durango & Silverton ok to be used outdoors?  Or should I consider returning for an R/C train?

glennk28

by Bachmann's own comments, their track is not suitable for all-weather use outside.  A good brass or stainless steel track is recommended for outdoor use.  I have run my trains in rain (real or man-made) with no problem.  I would take locos inside at night

As for R/C, you might eventually go that route for control as you get deeper into the hobby.   gj

Steve Stockham

The Durango & Silverton train from Bachmann is made to be run outdoors. As stated in the earlier post, you will need to get track that is made for outside use as the Bachmann track is strictly for inside use. As to r/c trains, if it's one that you are seeing at a toy store then you made the right choice in getting the Bachmann engine! That r/c train IS a toy and isn't meant for outdoor railroading.

Mike

Just to clarify. You can make your train into R/C through a relatively simple conversion process... but that is separate from/ read "in addition to"/ the nice train which you have. Enjoy your railroad!- Mike

altterrain

Quote from: Mike on December 25, 2008, 11:24:36 AM
Just to clarify. You can make your train into R/C through a relatively simple conversion process... but that is separate from/ read "in addition to"/ the nice train which you have. Enjoy your railroad!- Mike

Maybe, not so simple....  ;)  but can be done after doing some homework.

-Brian
President of