News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Climax Drive Shaft

Started by Linzthom, October 06, 2008, 08:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linzthom

Hi guys,

Not 2 minutes ago I put a brand new, out of the box,  Climax on my track and it ran for 30 seconds max.

Then the front drive shaft started to slip and  then it fell off the metal conecting stub right behind the trailing edge of the rear of the bogie and the front bogies wouldn't turn. I started it real slow and really carefully as I am well aware of some of the problems with these geared lokeys that you guys are having with them.

Any ideas on how to fix it locally? I live in New Zealand so don't want to have to return the whole shebang back to the States for fixing.

Disappointed? You bet !!!  It should go a lot longer than that. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???   Bring on the Heisler, I say !!!!
I'm going to live forever; or die trying

Linzthom

I've just had a real detailed look at the drive shaft under a magnifing glass and found both plastic cups split and upon turning the wheels around by hand found the gears were binding !!!  >:( >:( >:( >:(This is why the cups had split.

Mr Bachman.  Should I just send the offending truck and drive shafts back to the Bachman fixit depot for a replacement or what should I do? Help please. ??? ???

Thanks in advance

Lindsay Thompson

the Bach-man

Dear lindsay,
Return the loco to your dealer. He should be willing to replace it. Failing this, contact Jonathan Zimbler, the Australia- New Zealand rep.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

Linzthom

Thank you so much  Mr Bachman for the reply.

I am awaiting a reply from the retailer in the USA but it is sleep time there at the momment. Failing any joy from that. Could I have the contact details of Mr Zimbler, please ?

Thanks very much, again.

Kindest Regards

Lindsay Thompson ( in far off New Zealand)

the Bach-man

Dear Lindsay,
Since the loco came from a US dealer, it's ultimately our responsibility. I'm sure, however, the dealer is in the best position to replace the loco, and we will credit him.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Linzthom

Hi Mr Bachman. I have had a very nice reply from your service department and they were very, very helpful. I think things are going to be just dandy. I'll post an update when the dust settles and let you know what the results are.

Thanks very much for your time and trouble.  ;D ;D

Kindest Regards,

Lindsay T.

Hamish K

I have had a very similar problem with a new Climax purchased two weeks ago from an Australian dealer. In my case the gears do not appear to have been binding, but the front cup  that connects the shaft to the truck was split. I have contacted the dealer who has no more Climaxes available for an excahnge (I bought his last one) but is trying to obtain spare parts for me.  I will report on the outcome.

Hamish

Okarito

Hi all,

I to purchased a cheepish Climax, via Ridge Road Station - being in New Zealand it appeared to be a good deal given the exchange rates, though postage is prohibitive ex the USA. Well it arrived in good time but there were issues, one running board fell off, both drive bogies were off the loco and in three parts each, the headlight bracket and whistle broken off. A nights work on the workshops and most things repaired but the drive bogies bound up.

Went through the motions via Ridge Road Station to get the bogies replaced, which they did - but one of the replacements (straight out of its plastic bubble package) locked solid at 180 degrees - took it to bits to find the driving shaft bevel gear was split which meant the teeth centers were 1.45mm wide as opposed to the 1.15mm of the rest of the teeth centers. The second replacement was just as bad as the original two on the loco, it is going to take several hours with the strong magnifying glass and plenty of light and rum to carefully file the bevels into working order

One hopes that Bachmann will provide spare gear sets for these locomotives!

cheers
Okarito

lvrr325

Sounds like what's needed is uninstalled gears so that one can take some of the interference out of the fit to prevent that split issue.

On the bright side, that's a problem that's existed for years, the Athearn 1960's era HO USRA 0-6-0 suffers the same issue almost univerally -

Okarito

Hi all,

I would have thought that the technology of 40 odd years ago might have been improved upon? Surely the manufacturers should be able to produce a reliable product these days.  I note the Bach man's silence on this one.

cheers
Okarito