News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Question about tying turnouts together

Started by chuck, December 25, 2008, 02:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuck

What I have been looking for on this site is for information on the Backmann EZ track layout for sidings. I have figured out that if I want to have a train go off the main line on a turnout, say a right turnout, and then come back onto the main line via a left turnout, then I can do this by using the 11 ¼ radius track on each curved part of the turnout to get the rails parallel to the main line. The problem is that the length of the track in the turnout is an inch shorter than the length of the main line. So, you need a 9 inch piece of track to solve this problem. The problem is that Bachmann doesn't make a 9 inch piece of track, so the only way to get a 9 inch piece of track is to buy the track pieces package, and in there you will find 2 each 4 ½ inch pieces. Sort of an expensive way to go if you have multiple sidings. However, this allows one to have two trains alternately using the main line. What I haven't been able to figure out though, is how does one solve this same type of problem with the WYE turnouts. These WYE turnouts come with what looks like 2 small curved pieces of track, but they don't seem to be useful for anything in bringing the WYE split into 2 parallel tracks. I can split the track using a WYE, but what combination of sizes does one use to get the two tracks to go parallel or come back together into another WYE so they can join again? I have tried just about every possible combination and can't come up with a solution. If there is anyone out there who has solved this problem, or knows the answer, I'd really appreciate it if you tell me what I am missing or doing wrong. Does Bachmann offer diagrams of how these things are designed to go together? My only other solution is going to be to cut the track to make it fit, and I am a bit hesitant to try that. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks a bunch.

chuck

well I tried to attach 2 pictures of what I was talking about, but it appears the upload folder is full. Sorry.