News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track Plan Software

Started by TOMOTS, December 26, 2008, 02:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TOMOTS

Does Bachmann have a software program that uses EZ Track components to design a layout? What steps do you take to decide what your layout will look like?  I would like a layout circa the early 1900's with a passenger run and freight dealing with some industry such as mining, lumber, whiskey making or widget reclamation :D.  I want it to be a practical railroad operation, that can also deal with some whimsy and still do realistic railroad operations.

Jake

And again, while some people have gotten good results with Atlas Right Track software, I prefer XtrkCAD. (Available HERE) Both programs are free, and I prefer XtrkCAD because its features are more comprehensive and precise, and allows free laying of track, or sectional track such as Atlas track, its directory comes with various track libraries from multiple brands and allows designing in scales from Z and Nn3 all the way up to 1:8 scale. While it does take more time to learn all the features and oddities XtrkCAD, I feel it is worth the extra time and effort to take all of the tutorials offered. And no offense to pdlethbridge, I just want the newer users to get a taste of both programs.
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

Julthep

Both program (RightTrack and XTrkCad) included track libraries from many brands but none include Bachmann EZ Track library!
The El Dorado's 3rd PlanIt included Bachmann HO EZ Track library but no N EZ Track library!?!
Does anyone know where to find N EZ Track library for those program? Or suggest any other program that included N EZ Track library.
Thanks very much in advance.
Jul

jward

the layout you described sounds just like this one:
http://www.gdlines.com

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

renniks

Jul,

Take a look at this:- http://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html

Has N  E-Z track.
      Latest update has added even more track systems to already extensive library.

Eric UK   

az2rail

Anyrail does have a file for using Ez-track in N scale. Anyrail is easy to use, but the free version will only allow you to use 50 pieces of track. For a larger layout, they want you to buy the program. But you can design the first 50 pieces and send the design to a file, then design the next 50 pieces. etc.,etc.. That is what I did when I made a design of the layout I am after.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Julthep

Eric and Bruce,

Thanks very much for AnyRail info. I'll take a look.

Jul

CNE Runner

Thanks folks. I also downloaded the trial version of AnyRail and will give it a try. I am not good with computer programs that come with a steep learning curve...this one seems relatively easy to master. Currently I use MTHs track planning program that is designed for MTH track in O gauge. By halving the measurements I can get an approximation of the layout I am trying to design...not the best but it works.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

grampajoe

Just tried the anyrail system for Bachman EZ-Track & it works great.  The only problem I had - probably not software related - was that I couldn't complete a figure 8 layout since there's no flextrack in EZ-Track and the fixed pieces are not the right lenghts.  Any hints on how to cope with this would be appreciated.........

Joe Satnik

Grandpa Joe,

What scale track,
what degree crossing,
what radius curves?

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

grampajoe

N Scale

Crossing is elevated via a pier set - no intersecting track

radius is 11.25"

Joe Satnik

Do you have a restriction in overall length of the figure 8?  (i.e., how long is your table?)

Joe
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

grampajoe

Always glad to meet another Joe!  And I appreciate your interest in helping a "newbie".  The table is 72" wide, but I wanted to have another loop going around the outside of the"8".  That would probably leave about 60" to work with.......

Joe Satnik

Dear GJ,

For 11.25"R curves, 30 degrees each:

# of curves, bridge Xing degrees, straight length (2 needed)

24, 0, 0.

22, 30, 6".

20, 60, 13".

18, 90, 22.5".

16, 120, 39"

You would have to make up as close as possible the straight lengths (last column) using

10", 5", 2.5", 1.625" and 1.25" straight pieces. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik